Damp from Shared Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a 1930 terrace house with a shared chimney 4 pots are mine and 4 belong to next door. The brickwork and pointing is in poor condition and is subsiquently allowing damp to penetrate through into my bedroom.

I have had a number of builders out to have a look and the advise ive had is to render the chimney and but cowls on top of the pots as ive got a couple of gas firesdownstairs.

Ive spoken to the neighbour next door and she rents the property from her Dad who doesnt like spending money(her words not mine). She has spoken to her Dad about completing the work and splitting the cost and his reply was "there is nothing wrong with my side" even though she did let slip there is a slight bit of damp that has been there for a while.

Where do I stand with getting the work completed as I cant afford to pay for all of the work to be completed

Thanks in advance for the advice

Tris

Sponsored Links
This is a tricky neighbour situation with no simple mechanical answer - you are dealing with not so much building difficulties but people. Stay calm and polite - but gently insistent.

FWIW: dont go in for rendering the stack, not even half of it.

Re-furbishing a chimney stack usually needs an inspection of the surrounding roofing, the lead flashing and back gutter, the flaunching and pointing.
All the above might need work or renewing, and its always a good idea to have the flues swept and smoke tested (unless flue liners are in position).

Whoever goes on the roof should supply you with pics of both sides of the stack and pics of all the above detail.

Pics could be shown to your neighbour as "evidence" for a joint project.

Has anyone been in your loft and examined and pics the chimney breast below the stack?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back