Damp in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have been looking at a house that needs fully renovated which I am happy to do. The only issue i'm unsure about is in one of the upstairs bedrooms there is clearly damp on one side of the external wall it is around the same area as the chiminey runs up the outside of the house. The fireplace was blocked off about 15-20 years ago and I am unsure if the top of the chiminey was capped. The house had a lot of condensation and probably not had heating on for years and was not really cleaned or maintained.

If the chiminey was not capped could it be rain coming down the inside soaking through? If this is the issue what is the likely remedy? Could it need rebuilt were the dampness is?

Thanks for any help Jamie

Sponsored Links
It would be unlikely that it needs rebuilding, the source of water ingress needs to be determined, resolved and the wall left to dry out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back