Damp/Mould issues on bedroom wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The bedroom in our 1930s semi has a bay window and the bedroom wall either side of it is suffering with damp/mould issues (the internal side of the front of the house). There are damp problems where it doesn't get much air circulation.... On the one side, behind a small bedside table, and the other side within a 'wardrobe' - I've installed sliding doors along the whole dividing chimney breast wall and either side is fitted with poles, etc for hanging clothes. Where the clothes meet the external wall we have discovered that it is REALLY damp and mouldy.

A bit more info - The radiator is at the other end of the room, and there are definitely no damp issues caused from external issues - No leaking guttering, and it was all re-rendered with lime render a few years back.

I think it's just down to air circulation, and those external walls being so cold. If I were to install a 'false wall' and add insulation to the inside of the wardrobe, I'm worried I'll just be hiding the problem. Is there a proper procedure for doing something like this?

I was thinking I'd stud it out a little, add a vapour barrier and some celotex before plasterboarding over it?

Would this work, and if so, which side would the vapour barrier need to go on - Inside or outside edge of insulation?

Any help much appreciated - Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Kingspan acts as a vapour barrier as it has a tin foil coating.
Can stick that to wall then stick board over.

Why not get a dehumidifier and run for a few hours over the winter months. Don't cost much to run. I don't know how much they cost but we run two and haven't noticed an increase in electricity although there must be some

OP,
I've come across what you describe many times over the years.
Your proposed solution wont work, you will end up with the same slimy difficulties within a few years.
Why not send pics of the wardrobe & furniture runs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back