Damp on interior wall near back door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Sorry if this isn't the correct subforum for this topic, I wasn't sure where else to put it.

I have an interior wall seperating my kitchen from my bathroom (my bathroom is downstairs). The back door leading to the garden is located in the corner of the kitchen positioned right next to the interior wall at a 90 degree angle. I hope this makes sense so far!

The interior wall keeps getting damp right at the edge of the wall very close to the hinge side of the back door. There is no mould but all the paint has bubbled and/or peeled off and the plaster surface is very powdery.

The other side of this interior wall in the bathroom appears to be fine.

The back door is a double glazed pvc door. I have placed my hand to see if I can feel a draught coming from the edge of the door by cannot be sure if I'm feeling any draught at all.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be? I've been told to replace the back door as that may be letting air in which hits the interior wall but I cannot feel any air coming on and don't want to waste money on a new door if that isn't the problem.

I've thought of getting a damp expert to look but they'll probably tell me I need a new wall or something so I'd rather not.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Is it damp penetrating from the outside, ie does it happen when the weathers wet or is it condensation problem, if so it maybe a case of insulating the cavity to prevent cold air.

I don't think the area gets worse with wet weather though I can't be 100% sure. It is something that has just got worse and worse over time. Started off with the paint bubbling a little bit, then gradually coming away with the effected area getting bigger and bigger.

I guess to be sure I will keep checking the wall on a daily basis and make note of its wetness during different weather days to see if there is a link.

If it is a condensation problem, you mention filling the cavity to prevent cold air. Forgive my appalling knowledge of DIY, but what exactly do you mean by this - ie. what exactly is a cavity and how do I fill it or know if it needs filling?

I am aware that I must sound pathetic for not knowing this! :oops:

Thanks

A cavity is the gap between the two walls of your property the external leaf(skin) and the internal leaf(skin).
Some are cavity filled when first built, new builds of recent times are.
But if the property is of an age it may not have had one.
A links explain better.
http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk...ome-insulation-glazing/Cavity-wall-insulation
The lack of insulation can be a cause for condensation, more so in rooms that have little ventilation and plenty of moisture in the air of that room, kitchens and bathrooms are a prime example.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info, definitely something I need to look into. Our bathroom struggles to get warm anyway so might be worth doing regardless of damp issue.

But in regards to cavity insulation perhaps being a fix for the damp area I have - the damp area is on the internal wall dividing the kitchen from the bathroom, not an exterior wall where the cavity insulation would take place. And the damp area is right next to the back door where obviously no cavity insulation could take place.

Would this suggest it is likely a different cause or does condensation occur anywhere, not just where the cold is coming through?

I would assume that the door is fixed to the external wall and depending on the method the internal wall was fitted, maybe cold air is bridging across or it is possible that ingress of moisture/water is bridging across.
Do have any photos you can upload?
There is no pipe work in this area for the bathroom?

Yes, that is right, the back door is fixed to the external wall. No pipework runs through the internal wall that I'm aware of.

I will take a few photos tonight and upload them, maybe that well help diagnose the problem.

thanks for all your help so far. I really appreciate it.

Cheers

John

Could well be the seals around the door outside, they could be failing and letting water in, worth striping off and applying new.

You might be right. Definitely worth a try.

Thanks for the help. Got a few possible solutions to work on now.

Cheers

is that a flat roof or a gutter I see above the doorway?

go out on a rainy day and see if water is dripping or running off

Yes it is a flat roof, I'm not aware of any dripping or running off of rain water but it's something I will definitely check for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Keep 'em coming :D

what is on other side of that wet wall? is it... a bathroom?

yes it is a bathroom but the wall on the other side looks fine and there is no pipework inside that particular wall as far as I know.

tell us about condensation and ventilation

where is the bath and shower in relation to that wall? How is that wall decorated?

where do the pipes run? are there any boxed in over the door?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back