Damp Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A newly skimmed bedroom has been drying out for 3 weeks, but a small area on outside wall is still slightly damp..
The outside wall has been checked ok so I think its just that its taking longer due to it being in a dark corner with no heat in the bedroom and the wet/humid weather.
I have painted a mist coat on the ceiling and walls, but the small damp patch is still showing through.
If I concentrate on painting the ceiling and other walls, is the damp patch able to dry through the mist coat if I get some heat into the room?
Cheers All

Sponsored Links
Get air moving. Summer fan on will do it.
Maybe its a bit of a cold spot with lack of air movement at that area so condensation is forming..
Dehumidifier will help but start with a fan as will make a big difference

OP,
Why not post pics of the damp patch and the outside wall?
There's a number of variables that might possibly affect the plaster? Search on here for past similar threads.
In the meantime why not use trickle heat and trickle ventilation in the room.

A fan will help, there is a risk with a mist coat as it is a cold spot that needs dying out

Sponsored Links
Thanks all - If I paint over the small damp patches with emulsion matt, will they eventually dry out through the paint?
I assume emulsion is water based.
Cheers
Doug

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back