Debadged cars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't sure if this comes under General Cars as it is about cars, or General Chat as it is a sociological matter.

But, debadged cars. BMWs namely. Does anyone know of a debadged BMW that ISN'T a bottom-spec, bottom-of-the-range model? Just wondering, cos everytime I see a debadged BMW it has the small wheels, no tarty bodywork and generally it's having it's nuts shafted off by someone trying to get the damn thing to move at a decent pace. So I can only assume it's a 316/318.

Are there any M3s out there without the M3 badges, for instance?

Sponsored Links
You can have any model debadged, but people being people, it is generally only either bottom of the range or, top of the range that are anonymised.

it makes me laugh when i see a 318 with m3 badges on with the standard 1" :eek: exhaust pipe and 15" wheels.must go faster as they have the m3 mirrors.be good to have a m3 evo with a 316 badge. :LOL:

In the days when debadging was rare, one of my customers used to regularly buy top-spec Saabs and badge then as a base 900 model for example.

He said it made the car appear less desirable even though if you looked closely, it had the hallmarks of a top model.

Wonder if I can make a Metro 6R4 look like a 1.0 City? ;)

Sponsored Links
Did he have a few nicked before that maybe? Wouldn't drive down the insurance premia but would certainly avoid them getting stolen every 5 minutes!

BMW is the only manufacturer where I have seen debadging as a factory option. I guess that if you buy a Vauxhall or similar you aren't buying it with any pretence of status. But, there are bound to be people who want the perceived status of a BMW (the status is usually perceived by the driver alone :LOL: ) but feel embarassed about having the bottom spec one. Few people would buy a Focus 1.4 and then think "Oooh, but I don't want Mr Jones next door to know I've only got the 1.4LX when he has the 1.8 Ghia!" :LOL:

what is the point of having a sheep in wolfs clothes?you'd soon get found out @ the traffic lights.people with high performance,high spec cars don't drive like nutters its just the wannabes.people who spend their hard earned don't abuse their cars.

I saw a BMW "M3" on the M25, bright yellow, hanging right on my tail. I thought "There's something not quite right about that BMW". It had the right mirrors, it was the right shade of yellow. But it just didn't make me think "M3". When I pulled over I found out why... it was a 3-series Compact :LOL: By the effort it took to overtake, I suspect a 316 Compact, not even the 318ti.

The funny thing was, he even had the full M3 badge set on it... and those who DO know what "M3" means, know that this car isn't one. :LOL:

Perhaps it was just a very obscure ironic statement, but unfortunately I suspect not!

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
people with high performance,high spec cars don't drive like nutters its just the wannabes.

you sure??? there are 2 types of driver that REALLY get up my nose.

Those Vectra, BMW, Mondeo drivers whose driving is so good they can follow you at 60 with a 2 inch gap between you and somehow NEVER have an accident. I define this as driving like a nutter. Often seen from taxi drivers and people whose journey is obviously sooo much more important and urgent than mine - ie they are going to work - oh look so am i :evil: !

The other type is the boy racer with debadged car, wings, stupidly big exhausts, transplanted engines etc, who find it amusing to speed away from traffic lights and abuse their caar in every way they can, and rather than spend money on insurance, servicing etc, they spend it on wing type objects for their car and exhausts and baseball caps. These people also tend to tailgate, as they show off to their girlfriend in their H reg NOVA :evil: driving like a nutter again!

Then theres me, in my bog standard punto. I only ever tailgate when making a point to idiots who have pulled in front of me. ;) other than that im a courteous driver, and drive carefully, assuming all other drivers are idiots (like those mentioned above) ;)

crafty1289 said:
. These people also tend to tailgate, as they show off to their girlfriend in their H reg NOVA:

I followed one of these drivers the yesterday; he had the cap on and was driving a totally black G reg Renault 5. We were both following a minibus doing about 35mph and we were on a twisty country road. He was driving about a metre behind the minibus and every time he could see 20 yards ahead he was pulling out to have a look. When he finally did overtake I eased right off because I knew damn well if something had come round the corner the other way there would have been a crash.

As he drew level with the minibus driver he leaned over his passenger seat and gave him a hand signal!!

Any bets on how long before he writes his car off?

Sponsored Links
Back