Decorating a wooden Cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I sanded filled old painted wooden wall cabinet (see photos) and now ready to be primed and painted,.
Isn't ideal to spray primer and paint? Is there water based primer and paint or solvent will do?
Any other thoughts are welcome
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6757.jpg
    IMG_6757.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6758.jpg
    IMG_6758.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Zinsser BIN one coat.
Two acrylic primers.
Waterbased Eggshell or satin paint

Zinsser BIN one coat.
Two acrylic primers.
Waterbased Eggshell or satin paint
I don't need BIN, cabinet was painted not stained, I sanded all the paint to bare wood. Two coats of Bullseye 123 primer and 2 coats of satinwood will do.

Sponsored Links
Personally I dislike rolled finishes on cabinets. If it were me, I would paint it by hand, ensuring the the brush strokes align with the rails and styles on the doors. You could use a roller to apply the paint and then lay it off by brush.

For a number of years, my bread and butter was painting bespoke MDF cabinets. I used 170mm Anza paint pads to keep the tramline (brushmarks parallel). I applied a coat of acrylic primer and sanded it back to almost the bare MDF. Then followed up with two coats of oil based eggshell. The effect I was after was supposed to look like the unit had been sprayed, with a very thin hand applied coat.

If the units were modern looking, I would spray them but have the component parts, and then spray them with 2K paint. It is difficult to spray assembled units because of the dry overspray.

Personally I dislike rolled finishes on cabinets. If it were me, I would paint it by hand, ensuring the the brush strokes align with the rails and styles on the doors. You could use a roller to apply the paint and then lay it off by brush.

For a number of years, my bread and butter was painting bespoke MDF cabinets. I used 170mm Anza paint pads to keep the tramline (brushmarks parallel). I applied a coat of acrylic primer and sanded it back to almost the bare MDF. Then followed up with two coats of oil based eggshell. The effect I was after was supposed to look like the unit had been sprayed, with a very thin hand applied coat.

If the units were modern looking, I would spray them but have the component parts, and then spray them with 2K paint. It is difficult to spray assembled units because of the dry overspray.
You make sense, spray not best option, I will use roller and brush.

BIN will stop the knots bleeding through paint and any staining if you were to get any.
I always use roller to get a sprayed like appearance although many like the brushed effect. Hand painted kitchens and furniture ect...

Depends what you are wanting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back