Defeating the squirrels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She came home with a fancy bird-feeder - tall metal pole, with various arms at the top, for dishes, and hangers for those nut feeders. The base of the pole, then, goes into the ground. The place is inundated with squirrels, which are certain to climb the pole, to get at the food intended for the birds.

How do stop the squirrels climbing up the pole, please?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
After I'd ordered the "Rudding's Wood" one, I realised I probably could have made one with low-grade gabion baskets for a bit less.
But yeah, they take up a fair bit of space.

A big round disc on the pole - a bit like those discs they have on mooring ropes to stop rats getting on a ship.

I've just made a cone shaped disc, around 18" diameter, which I've installed on the pole, around 4' up from the ground. Cone made from thin alloy sheet, pointy end up, with a jubilee clip supporting it on the pole, so it wobbles about a bit. See if that deters them!

They've stopped climbing and scrabbling about on my summerhouse roof, ripping it, since I reroofed it with box section steel sheet - it seems the slippy surface deters them.

Ah, I can see your problem.

We've had a couple of these hanging up for a few years now:

You just have to make sure to hang them from a suitable support:

Squirrels have tried many times, but have now given up completely.

Why not feed them as well?
They're an invasive species introduced by humans, which out-compete the natives and carry disease that can kill them. The metaphor isn't quite complete though, as the boats they came on were large and not small.

That's quite similar, but it lacked the cone, so I made one today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back