DESPERATELY SEEKING HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im the owner if a 1930's victorian end of terrace detached house. A conversion into 2 flats, grd flr and first flr. Im the first flr.

The new owner has just taken over the grd floor. During the sale it became apparent that the damp course had not been done correct and she had incurred rising damp for which she has the work done.

My first question is, how likely is it for a 1st flr flat to incur the same problem?

The exteranl rendering-for all 4 walls, the removal of a chimney and the capping of the other has been organised by the grd flr owners. bearing in mind both flats are 1 bedrooms. The total cost including scaffolding has come to £6800. Have i been ripped off???

Just one last thing, i seem to have cold spots around the house which is making it hard to heat the flat. Given the age of the house is it worth considering cavity wall insulation??

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this as im desperate?

Sponsored Links
Hi

I am no way an expert in damp; but the way I understand damp if its raising damp them it as got no chance of reaching the first floor. I believe damp will only rise 1000m shoud be 1000mm above ground level. I would get a second onion ask you local planning office to recommend a professional person to carry out a survey and hold fire on paying until you received a detailed survey.

Sponsored Links
max height of rising damp is 1m (it can be 1.3m). a 1st floor will never suffer from rising damp.

rendering for me is for when it's needed or for specific locations ie bay windows. i am a bricky at heart and like to see brick. i presume the chimney needs removal due to structural problems otherwise leave alone unless you need to create space. without a price breakdown it's difficult to be sure on value for money. it looks high suggest you get 2nd quote and ask for breakdown specifically materials/labour.

you would need to give a few more details on the cold spots. i don't think it should be the top priority on a fixed budget (have seen some posts on this site about good prices for cavity insulation which would be worth you searching out - 170£ stuck out as a too good to be true).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back