Diagonal Crack in External Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently noticed a diagonal crack in an external wall, underneath a window, near the drainage pipes.
The bungalow was built circa 1965 and had a loft conversion done approximately 8-9 years ago. (done prior to me moving in).
I have checked internally and there is no visible signs of water ingress or internal cracking in this area.
IMG_20240830_091019.jpg

IMG_20240830_091054.jpg

My concern is that this could be due to subsidence? Has anyone else encountered this issue and can provide any guidance on how best to resolve it, or who best to contact (builder, or structural engineer), or could it be attributable to 'natural shrinkage'?
Many thanks and kind regards, Tony

Sponsored Links
Can you show the context of where it is, showing more or all of the wall?

It's probably shrinkage. It will be a weak point, where the wall is much less tall due to the window. Imagine the whole wall as a piece of wood, if you bent it, is it where it would snap? Our bungalow is similar, I have a few under windows in various places. Houses are less wide so suffer less from shrinkage but are also stronger due to the upper storey giving the wall more strength.

I was at a friend's newbuild house the other day, I noticed that just along a block of 3 small houses there were two movement joints. They build to allow movement now, put the cracks in deliberately from day one.

I did see a bungalow where each corner had detached itself and dropped downwards. It's hard to tell from the photo, it doesn't look like there's a huge amount of horizontal gap. Check whether there's another similar crack around the corner.

Hi, unfortunately, I can't get nuch more of the wall in a picture due to the neighbours property and the fence!
There is one small area similar to this, but is inside a porch that has been added and, again, is under a window but doesn't go as far as the ground level. The wall that is affected is the largest of the walls of the property, so seems that those 2 windows may be the cause?
Apart from that, the rest of the wall doesn't have any cracking from the ground.

Sponsored Links
Can you show the context of where it is, showing more or all of the wall?

It's probably shrinkage. It will be a weak point, where the wall is much less tall due to the window. Imagine the whole wall as a piece of wood, if you bent it, is it where it would snap? Our bungalow is similar, I have a few under windows in various places. Houses are less wide so suffer less from shrinkage but are also stronger due to the upper storey giving the wall more strength.

I was at a friend's newbuild house the other day, I noticed that just along a block of 3 small houses there were two movement joints. They build to allow movement now, put the cracks in deliberately from day one.

I did see a bungalow where each corner had detached itself and dropped downwards. It's hard to tell from the photo, it doesn't look like there's a huge amount of horizontal gap. Check whether there's another similar crack around the corner.
Hello - thanks for the reply. Would you recommend filling the gaps, or wait a while to see if it creeps/opens up any more?
Thanks, Tony

Gully/drain line will be leaking.

Andy
Hello Andy. What trade will I need to call out to do the investigation? Is it a plumbers job, or a builders? Never had a problem like this before so any help will be gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks, Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back