Different Retailers Suggesting Different Engine Oil Grades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick one. I always use 10W40 oil in my 108,000 mile 2004 Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD 8V van as I believe it's the right one. I'm due an oil and filter change and I put my reg into Halfords to check what oil they have and it came up with 5W40. To double check, I put my reg into Opie's site and it came up 10W40. Wondering if this is just a one off anomaly, I tried a few other oil manufacturers sites and entered my details. Some are 10W40, others 5W40.

So, what should I be using? What would you use? Does it matter?

Sponsored Links
The 5 means it'll flow better at lower temperatures eg cold winters, doubt it matters on that HDi in this country. Some people say it burns more or leaks more on an older engine because it's thinner but again probably not. I used to use Mannol from eBay in mine.

You’ll probably find the 5/40 is a fully synthetic as against a semi synthetic 10/40 and the price will likely reflect this.
Stick with the 10/40 and change it regularly and all will be well.
John

Sponsored Links
Halfrauds profit margin higher on the 5w40 ?

All oil prices seem to be big money these days. Had a look at the recommended oils in back of owners handbook, and to be fair the temp ranges for 5W or 10W would probably cover UK winter temps ok. So being cheap, I opted for the Mobil Super 2000 10W40 but made sure I got a quality Mahle filter. Gets changed approx every 5,000 miles as lots of short town journeys. Thought I would get it done before the next blast to south western France. Just got to get the new speed sensor in the diff casing so I can have a working speedo, odo, etc (hoping I don't lose any/too much gearbox oil in the process) and she's all ready.

Thanks to all for advice, as usual much appreciated.

What's an "oil change"? Do you guys have to do this every year? What a palaver! ( ;) )

Seriously, however, the sheer range of modern oils has become absolutely bewildering - particularly for older cars - especially if they pre-date some of the more modern oils. For me, the most important thing, is to check out the ACEA specification against the handbook recommendation. So if the handbook says "ACEA B2" or something like that, I try to find that. The viscosity is less important. My old '80s petrol Alfa is supposed to run on 10W40 mineral oil, because that's pretty much all there was when it was designed. Since then, I've put lots of different grades in it, and it doesn't seem to care. Fully synthetic 10W50 is what I'm on now. It's got 150,000 on it and it burns a bit less of the thicker stuff. Of course, it doesn't have a turbo or a cat, so I don't need to worry too much.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd reduce the bottom (cold viscosity) number. It's probably safe, but the engine would have been designed to do cold starts on a "10" and 108,000 miles and the bearing clearances will be bigger, rather than smaller than when it left the factory. I think it might rattle a bit on cold startups with a 5 in it.

If I was going to splash out on fully synthetic, I might be tempted to go a bit higher on the second number, so that the oil pressure is a bit better when hot. I don't think that will do any harm to a worn engine, and might do some good. Synthetic oils can cover a broader range than mineral oils ever could. If 10W50 had been around when the Scudo was designed, I'm sure they'd have used it. Anything that reduces the amount it thins out hen hot, is good. Alfa have even specified 10W60 as a retrofit to some turn-of-the-millennium engines to reduce oil consumption on track days.

Worth remembering that a lot of the bells and whistles on the most modern oils are to do with protecting the cat and the DPF, rather than the engine.

What's an "oil change"? Do you guys have to do this every year? What a palaver! ( ;) )

Seriously, however, the sheer range of modern oils has become absolutely bewildering - particularly for older cars - especially if they pre-date some of the more modern oils. For me, the most important thing, is to check out the ACEA specification against the handbook recommendation. So if the handbook says "ACEA B2" or something like that, I try to find that. The viscosity is less important. My old '80s petrol Alfa is supposed to run on 10W40 mineral oil, because that's pretty much all there was when it was designed. Since then, I've put lots of different grades in it, and it doesn't seem to care. Fully synthetic 10W50 is what I'm on now. It's got 150,000 on it and it burns a bit less of the thicker stuff. Of course, it doesn't have a turbo or a cat, so I don't need to worry too much.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd reduce the bottom (cold viscosity) number. It's probably safe, but the engine would have been designed to do cold starts on a "10" and 108,000 miles and the bearing clearances will be bigger, rather than smaller than when it left the factory. I think it might rattle a bit on cold startups with a 5 in it.

If I was going to splash out on fully synthetic, I might be tempted to go a bit higher on the second number, so that the oil pressure is a bit better when hot. I don't think that will do any harm to a worn engine, and might do some good. Synthetic oils can cover a broader range than mineral oils ever could. If 10W50 had been around when the Scudo was designed, I'm sure they'd have used it. Anything that reduces the amount it thins out hen hot, is good. Alfa have even specified 10W60 as a retrofit to some turn-of-the-millennium engines to reduce oil consumption on track days.

Worth remembering that a lot of the bells and whistles on the most modern oils are to do with protecting the cat and the DPF, rather than the engine.
I agree with all that. But add, that the older style engines like this 1 came out with a range of oils to cover different climates. Hence the 5/40 and 10/40 choices for UK. In which case, keep using what it's been having

On some newer engines the oil is far more critical. Wet belt engines in particular. Ford ecoboom engine is a classic example

I notice that the oil companies and retailers, on their "recommended for your car" pages, like to guide you to their most expensive oil.

But if you look down at the "alternatives" it may show others that also meet the car manufacturer's recommendation.

When I look at the owner's handbook, it has a range of suitable oils, spanning very hot and very cold climates. I live in a temperate zone and when the engine was designed they recommended anything from 0W-30 to 5W-40, though 5W-30 was preferred so I use that.

My other car recommends 0W-16, which is hard to find and rather expensive. If not available 0W-20 or 5W-30 can be used.

Regular changes are the most important thing.

Regular changes are the most important thing.
I don't disagree with your comments overall.

But the line above, whilst good advice, doesn't take into account how critical the right oil is for SOME engines.

As mentioned before. Wet belt engines in particular. Never use anything but the 1 specified oil.

I buy my oil from English blenders at a 20l volume.

It is great deal cheaper but of a specified quality. Never had any issue with delivery or the use of in 4 cars in the family including sons BMW that takes 7.2 litre at a change.

All you need to do is select the right oil for example VW 507 and the same BMW as long-life LL04

It is great deal cheaper but of a specified quality. Never had any issue with delivery or the use of in 4 cars in the family including sons BMW that takes 7.2 litre at a change.

All you need to do is select the right oil for example VW 507 and the same BMW as long-life LL04
Used their 5w-40 LL04 & transmission fluid in my high mileage E39 for several years without issue.
Considerable saving when compared to BM products, especially the fluid.

Interesting. Never heard of them. a 5 litre can of 10W40 is about £15, well under half of the big names. How do you know if it's any good?

Interesting. Never heard of them. a 5 litre can of 10W40 is about £15, well under half of the big names. How do you know if it's any good?
Look at the spec's. ACEA. That determines the quality, the viscosity is the numbers

Choose the oil according to those specs.

Sponsored Links
Back