diggin channel in brickwork for piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have to dig a channel bout 2 inches deep too accomodate pipework,
will be cutting into 100mm block i think !!!

what is best method ?

also is there any type of brick that could cause me problems

been told possibly diamond tipped wheel on angle grinder + chisel

any advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Did exactly the same this afternoon, with the tools you mention. Make sure your chisel is sharp, makes it much easier, mine wasn't to start with but resharpened it and it was great. When you use the angle grinder wear a mask and make sure the door is closed and the window open!

how much did you dig out ? i am diggin out about 2inches, think the concrete block is 100mm !

also did you have any trouble or was it fairly simple ?
how long did it take you and was it a diamond grinding wheel on grinder ???

sorry for all questions mate but will help very much so

cheers

flyfto are you chanelling horizontally or vertically, is it a cavity wall your chanelling 2" is a lot to take out of a 4" wall.

Sponsored Links
Why are you taking out 2" it is far too deep? :eek:

Presumably your pipes are 15mm and, as its for a shower, you'll be facing the wall with something (ceramic tiles etc)?

In this case 1" deep channel should be fine?

I got the impression from your posts that you intended chasing out 2" for your verticals also ... 2" cavity localised around the valve head will be okay and the vertical chasing for the supplies will be closer to 1".

As others have said ... Diamond wheel on an angle grinder and hammer and chisel to remove.

Open window, closed door taped all around the frame and not removed until all the mess has been removed (unless you want dust throughout the house and a frying pan over your head) :LOL:

Don't forget to have the Vac in the room with you before you start and your goggles, mask etc etc. ;)

MW

And tell your neighbours what you are doing so they dont call the fire brigade thinking it is smoke coming out of your window :LOL:

lol, cheers

i was thinking of just digging verticals out 2 inch's too.
but i take it just better to have a few bends in pipe, i take it this wouldnt affect my pressure ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back