Dimmable 20W 35mm recessed fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there some reason why 20W 35mm recessed fittings cannot be dimmed? I am hoping to install some tilting units in my living room and wish to go for the cheap and cheerful B&Q option:

these

As the website and packaging tell you nothing useful I had to open one of the boxes and fish out the instructions to find out hole sizes etc, and the first thing on the sheet was 'We do not recommend that you use this product with a dimmer switch'. However the transformer included in the box has 'DIMMABLE' written on the front in large friendly letters.

Am I missing something? I am hoping to operate 6 fittings via the dimmer (2 transformers) so the total wattage would be 120W, well within the limits of most switches.

Also the dimmer switch needs to be 2 gang as it controls 2 standard incandescent mains voltage wall lights as well. Will it be OK to run the MV and LV systems from the same type of dimmer switch? I keep seeing the IQ intelligent dimmers, but don't know whether they would be more suitable in this instance than a standard dimmer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Is there a contact number on the leaflet? To clarify the instructions I'd get in touch with their Head Office as opposed to asking in a branch and see if you can speak to the people involved in producing the recommendation.
Don't just take for granted that the transformer is "dimmable" an issue may have arisen later forcing them to put out the leaflet.
Also can you clarify what you mean by "the MV and LV systems" in your query as that terminology means "Medium Voltage" and "Low Voltage" to an electrician and if that is what you are meaning then you have your terminology wrong in this instance.

Kendor -

Apologies, I thought MV stood for mains voltage. The wall lights run directly from the lighting circuit (no transformer). I'll stick to terminology I'm more sure about in future!

As regards the instructions leaflet included in the box, I have not actually bought the lights yet because if they are not dimmable I don't want them! The instructions did appear to be fairly generic - several different hole sizes mentioned depending on which model you bought. I'll go back to the store and try to find a manufacturer's number as you suggested.

The larger fittings from the same manufacturer (50W) are described as dimmable, so I was just wondering whether there was something about mini 35mm halogen light fittings that prevents them from being used with a dimmer.

Sponsored Links
My fault really I should have realised that was what you were on about, If you are not a spark then you wouldn't realise this anyway I should have elaborated on my reply.
Answer to the second part of your question, there is no reason why you can't dim them although suggestions are that if they are dimmed more than 10% then life expectancy of the lamp is reduced(see other posts).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back