Dimmer installation help...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops:

I'm new to this.. so I want to make sure I'm replacing my current wall light switich with a dimmer switch corrrectly (as the installation instructions it came with are terrible). The unit I have is from Homebase. It has an L1 connection and a C connection and an earthing wire attached to the side of one of the main screw holes of the dimmer switch. In the instructions it states that I should attach this earthing wire to the mounting box. There is already an earh wire which is connected to this which is coming from the mains. Do I add add the addititional wire to the same place?

Also what does L1 stand for and which coloured wire should be attached from the mains. I am assuming C should be the live (red) wire?

Please help.....

Sponsored Links
try a search on dimmer switch this has been asked so many times before, and the switches are from home base, and yes your new earth wire should go along with the existing earth wire

breezer said:
try a search on dimmer switch this has been asked so many times before, and the switches are from home base, and yes your new earth wire should go along with the existing earth wire

Thanks!

I have serached under switches and there are various guides .... none of them though indicate what the L1 connection should be - I want to make sure that it shouldn't be live. I know it sounds like I'm being anal but I just want to be totally sure it's right before I go ahead...

Rob Storer said:
breezer said:

Thanks!

I have serached under switches and there are various guides .... none of them though indicate what the L1 connection should be - I want to make sure that it shouldn't be live. I know it sounds like I'm being anal but I just want to be totally sure it's right before I go ahead...

I've searched under homebase and dimmer switch and found a few queries. though because they seem confused there isn't really a clear outcome that i'm convinced I can use..... Sory to be a pain!

Sponsored Links
your existing switch has two wires, your new swithc has 2 terminals, doesnt matter which way (but most would say c is live)

breezer said:
your existing switch has two wires, your new swithc has 2 terminals, doesnt matter which way (but most would say c is live)

Sorted and it works thanks!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back