Dimmer Switch Type Alternatives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have recessed dimmable LED spot lights in my bathroom. They are all on one circuit so there is no zoning. They are operated by an ordinary rotary dimmer switch. Everything is working well, however given the nature of the room there is a lot of on/off switching for short periods. It has come to my annoyance that the dimmer has a fancy delayed/smooth on off mechanism. In addition, just the nature of pressing the rotary switch to switch on lighting is a bit unreliable. So sometimes when rushing into the bathroom one needs to wait 2 seconds to confirm the lights are on, and it can easily become 5 seconds if one has not properly pressed the rotary dial.

So I could re-calibrate the rotary dimmer that the lowest setting is equal to off, but I am not sure if this is good for the components as there might still be minimal current flow. Therefore, I am looking for a different "type" of dimmer switch that works more like a rocker but still allows for different light levels. Nothing too fancy that requires an actual controller.

Something like this. You can still change the light output, but there is a simple on off switch for quick entry/exit. Any suggestions that are available here in the UK?

Sponsored Links
If I have understood correctly:

I am looking for a different "type" of dimmer switch that works more like a rocker but still allows for different light levels. Nothing too fancy that requires an actual controller.
Why are you looking for a different type of switch because you have a faulty one.

Rotary dimmers with push on/off are fine - it will need to be compatible with the LEDs, of course.

Something like this. You can still change the light output, but there is a simple on off switch for quick entry/exit.
As you can with the rotary push on/off ones.

First question has to be, is there a neutral at the switch?

Second is are the bulbs you are using on the compatibility list for the dimmer you are selecting?

I have given up with dimmer switches. When the CFL came out, all my dimmer switches were removed, and the LED bulb will not allow a most dimming switches to adjust the colour temperature of the bulbs, the bulbs can be colour changing never mind the colour temperature, but few switches can set colour temperature never mind the whole colour.

There are some exceptions, switches like this
1724333069069.png
can be set so turning sets how bright, and pushing sets on/off, but they are not hard wired, and connect with wifi to the bulb, so need to use the same make of bulb. And with smart bulbs you don't even need to touch the switch, a simple hey google turn bathroom lights on 50% will do the job.

I want my landing light bright normally, but dim when going to toilet in middle of the night, so it has 5 bulbs, centre on smart, and I can switch either outer, centre or all on, and centre one can change colour and dim. Voice, phone, or switch control.

With smart bulbs they remember the setting, so simple on/off switch is all that is required, point is never fit integral lamps, as they tend not to have option for smart control.

The easy way is bulbs with remote controls
1724333697015.png
replace some with remote control type, then to can select how many bulbs turn on, and how bright and what colour, I have used these for guest bedroom so they don't need the phone programming into them.

First of all, determine if the "soft start" function is being provided by the dimmer or by the lights themselves.
Easy way is to swop the dimmer for a basic on/off switch.

If you've then decided it IS the dimmer, then I suggest you get a Varilight Pro dimmer. Mine do not have a delayed start feature.

Sponsored Links
First of all, determine if the "soft start" function is being provided by the dimmer or by the lights themselves.
Easy way is to swop the dimmer for a basic on/off switch.
Thanks, it's the dimmer. I had the circuit hooked up to a simple rocker switch for some decorating and they illuminate instantly at 100%. This is actually exactly the switch I have. The rocker is used for the extractor fan, so ignore that bit.

I think I still have a spare Varilight pro module somewhere. I will try that to see if there is less delay.

I suppose I may not have adequately worded my intentions or what I am getting at... everything is working fine everything is compatible, there is no flickering etc.. it is just a personal preference that I don't like the soft/delay start and the general operation of the rotary push on/off...it's great for a bedroom or office where you set the light once and keep if for a longer period, but suboptimal for a bathroom where also kids run in an out constantly. Changing the "type" of dimmer I thought would fit this purpose. It's not the world's biggest problem, but I thought someone may have seen something non-standard that might fit the purpose.

I think a Zano module may offer a start brightness, together with minimum and maximum. I fitted one. Awhile ago and a quick look at the product technical set states that in point 7.
You will, should you buy one ensure the correct load as one is from 0W and another from 5W I think. There are centre and offset variants plus grid version.
Please have a review of their site.

Attachments

• Zano_LED_Modules_ZLINELED_Instructions (1).pdf
    295.7 KB · Views: 22
LED compatible dimmer switch with soft-start technology that slowly brings the lights to the set level in about 1-2 second, prolonging the life of your lightbulbs, as well as an easy push button setup for seamless installation.
So it is working as designed.

I have one odd light bulb with the fad in and out function. These can be set in the app 1724673577672.png I find it good so I have some warning before it switches off, however just looked at the app to get that screen shot, and I note there seems to be more functions to last time I used it. I turn on and off with Google Home or Google Mini, so had not opened Wiz app for some time.

I have looked at the instruction manual and I fail to see why called "Intelligent" but the instructions also boast 1724674555800.png so I would have said if it did not soft start it was faulty, it is doing what it says on the box.

Just to close this off, I've gone with a varilight touch dimmer. It looks like a regular rocker, but just has a small tap for on/off and you can dimm by pressing the top or bottom part. I am quite happy with this as it fires up smooth, but much quicker than the other one. I've actually made a side-by-side video for comparison, but it looks like the forum only allows image uploads and I am not registered with any of the approved media sides.

Anyhow, now resolved to my liking.

if you want to display a video, the easy way is to first upload it to YouTube. Then you can embed the YouTube video using the insert media option.

Attachments

• IMG_4781.jpeg
    IMG_4781.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 7

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back