Dishwasher not working properly after being stored

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just been given a Hotpoint 7871 (Super 12) Dishwasher (it is about 12 or 13 years old and has been stored for about 4 to 5 years in a heated garage) and although it works, and the heating element heats up, there is no water going through the spray bars, so of course nothing is being cleaned at all.

There was a wire underneath the machine that looked like it had been chewed through, but my hubbie has repaired that, with a electric block and this has now allowed the water to flow into the machine.

What could be the problem with the spray bars?

We have cleaned the filters at the bottom of the machine, and checked for probs underneath the machine, but cant see anything (Apart from the problem previoulsy mentioned which has now been fixed).

Is this going to be a throw away this machine and buy new, or could it be the pump that has gone?

Thanks

Catherine

Sponsored Links
With a machine of that age and stood for that long it really could be anything. The insides could be blocked with anything from scale, rust or even mouse nesting material judging by the bitten wiring. Due to the holes on the spray bars being very small they could quite easily have bunged up so I would start with a needle to make sure they are clear.Failing that try and strip the casing off and have a real good look with a torch for any obvious blockages or you may be able to download a manual for it and identify the part it may be and then it can be checked for a fault.

the spray bars are operated by a pump which obviously pumps, but there are two pumps one is also used for emptying. I also assume that water is getting in in the first palce ? if not it may be the fill hose or vavle

Hi

Thanks for replying

Well Ive checked the spray bars and they are clear, so I thjink I will do as you say and get my hubbie to take the casing off and have a look inside.

I noticed that the ob/off switch now pushed in wont come back out again, so I think a strip down of the machine is prob a good idea.

What seems to be happening is that the machine starts but like I said no water seems to be going through the bars although they are clear, and water seems to be coming up from filter area at the bottom, but does drain away when it shoudl do, so I dont really have any idea of what is going on.

I have downloaded the nearest manual to this model as Hotpoint or anywhere doesnt do this manual for this machine anymore. But it doesnt really show anything at all.

I may see if I can get a free estimate for a repair if its economical enough, we got the machine for nothing so if its gonna cost more than say £100, we will just buy a new machine.

I will let you knowq how we get on.

Thanks again

Catherine[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Hiya again

Well the machine has been stripped (sides, back and front off) and guess what - more chewed wires, so once my hubbie is home from work he is going to either tape the wiring up or cut and block it.

There doesnt seem to be any burnt parts, the motor looks fine and runs okay, as does the pump, although doesnt work as strongly I dont think as it should (maybe why its not going into the spray bars, so maybe the wiring is the issue here.

There was loose wire which had come away which has now been secured, so once my hubbie has done his bit I will let you know if the machine is working or not.

Catherine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back