Do you bother with 1mm t&e and 16mm patresses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I allways use 1.5mm t&e, yet fuse a 6A as I have just allways used 1.5mm t&e + the fact that it could be upgraded to 10a should the need arise.

I used to use 16mm patresses but i dont like how deep the MK Logic Plus range are and the limited room for the cables needed for two way lighting on a double gang switch (especially if circuit cables are with it..)

I know some people smash the hole far too deep and use longer screws, however I prefer to have the box just below the level of the plaster. Im increasingly just using 25mm patresses now (I also like the fact I can fit more grommets)

Im assuming everyone else just uses 25mm patresses and ive been struggling for far too long?

Sponsored Links
yeah using 25mm or even deeper is strongly reccommended

16mm's in the bin, still use 1mm for domestic stuff (this can be uprated to 10amp the majority of the time.)

The logic range 1 and 2 gang switches have gone a little tacky in the last couple of years - the 3 gang is still the same, and looks great, but the 1 and 2 gang i think look bulkier, and the rear end of them is very basic.

ive noticed in a lot of public buildins the use of grid plus for all switches even one way singles

Sponsored Links
We did a school quite a few years back (old mk style). Spec was for grid everywhere (metal fronts, not curface metal-clad, but flush plates the colour, forget the name). We used some matching 1 gang switches for the walk in classroom cupboards, and had to change them!!!!!!!!

can't see how grid gains you any upgradability on single switches

if you wanted to add another switch you would have to remove the whole assembly anyway grid or not

for doubles it makes a bit more sense as you could swap out one module without disturbing others (though i would still want everything in the box isolated wouldn't fancy doing a module swap with the other module still live)

is there anything available between 25mm and 45mm..

and dont say around 20mm :D

dw3101 said:
is there anything available between 25mm and 45mm..

and dont say around 20mm :D

Yes, most manufacurers do a 32mm-36mm steel box (the exact dimensions vary from manufacturer to manufacturer). Try screwfix or TLC Direct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back