Does glazing putty stick to gloss? Or can it be bonded to primer only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

I am trying to re-glaze our front door (never done it before) and have painted it with 2 coats of Zinsser and 2 coats of exterior gloss. I was told to paint the colour around the squares of the windows so the unpainted parts wouldn't show through once glazed... but have a gut feeling I've done it wrong now.

Does linseed oil putty bond to glossed woodwork at all? Or do I need to strip it back again where I need to putty? Also, am I supposed to apply a thin bead if silicone to the frame before inserting the glass into the windows?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Hi!

I am trying to re-glaze our front door (never done it before) and have painted it with 2 coats of Zinsser and 2 coats of exterior gloss. I was told to paint the colour around the squares of the windows so the unpainted parts wouldn't show through once glazed... but have a gut feeling I've done it wrong now.

Does linseed oil putty bond to glossed woodwork at all? Or do I need to strip it back again where I need to putty? Also, am I supposed to apply a thin bead if silicone to the frame before inserting the glass into the windows?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
If it sticks to glass Im pretty sure it will stick to gloss

Sponsored Links
As, above, it will stick to gloss.

Is the putty on the inside face of the door? If yes, it would be a good idea to use a MS sealant such as clear Stixall to seal the outer face of the glass.

As, above, it will stick to gloss.

Is the putty on the inside face of the door? If yes, it would be a good idea to use a MS sealant such as clear Stixall to seal the outer face of the glass.
Thank you! Yes, we will be puttying the inside and will look for thr MS sealant you've suggested then.

Thank you! Yes, we will be puttying the inside and will look for thr MS sealant you've suggested then.

There are numerous MS polymers. Stixall is a reasonably priced one and available from the likes of screwfix.

The polymers are vastly superior to silicone... in some (but not all) respects- they are slightly less flexible than silicones but, so long as they primed with water based paints, they can be over painted with water or oil based paints. They are however more expensive than cheap silicone sealants.

There is no reason why you can't use them inside and out though. Linseed oil putty takes and awfully long time to become over paintable.

Edit- don't forget to use small nails to hold the glass in place.

On reflection, it might be easier to use putty inside (using a putty knife). The MS polymer inside would require masking tape on each pane of glass.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back