Dogs and laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a random post (I don't even own a dog!)

I watch quite a bit of YT and I've seen a fair few videos that feature folk and their dogs, funny videos, heart-warming videos etc. In many of these, the folk have laminate flooring throughout the house. When you watch the dog moving, especially when it's doing so at any sort of speed, it slides all over the place and you can tell it's having to work overtime to ensure its legs don't splay. When they're walking relatively slowly, fine, no issue, however as we know dogs often like to move at speed.

I've concluded this can't be good for the dogs joints longer term due to the extra effort and pressure put on their joints due to the smooth/slippery surface.

End of random post.

Sponsored Links
If there’s very little grip, I’d expect there to be less pressure on any joints. Would you expect more pressure on the tyres/wheels/driveshafts/transmission of a car accelerating on ice or on one accelerating on a tarmac road surface?

My son fitted real parquet recently and no problems. My house has loads of it - no problems.
Costs are rather different and he used oak. Mine is a mix of that and pitch pine. I doubt if the same type of that is still available. It's very hard.
My son treated his with an Osmo that doesn't darken the wood. It's not a high gloss finish.

When a dog turns a corner at speed on laminate flooring, it will understeer due to slippage (see Motties post).

Oversteer caused by thick carpets/claws, would produce more damage.

Not too sure about the theory, of any of the above, but I won't mention we had a BLACK dog, in case the Trolls turn up.

Sponsored Links
We had an elderly dog, which struggled a bit on laminate, she would push sideways on her back legs, to get up, and her legs would slide from under her. Another one, liked nothing better, than lying on her back on laminate, and having someone give her a push to skid along on her back..

I remember I had a pair of slippers, which offered no grip at all, on laminate. They quite quickly went in the bin.

We have engineered oak in our dining room and Karndean in the hallway. Our Labrador slips if she’s overly excited but she’s fine most of the time.

Karndean is amazing, the lads who did it where excellent.

IMG_7904.png

The wood work needs another coat, Saturday hopefully.

Thanks for the replies and happy to concede my assertion might be totally wrong. However I remain to be convinced, it seems to me the dogs sometimes need to exert additional energy to stop their legs from splaying so, longer term, I can't see how this is beneficial to their joints.

Thanks for the replies and happy to concede my assertion might be totally wrong. However I remain to be convinced, it seems to me the dogs sometimes need to exert additional energy to stop their legs from splaying so, longer term, I can't see how this is beneficial to their joints.
Bit like walking on ice i suppose.

Our dog has his own chair, he likes to jump up on to it and have a sleep.
We also have a laminate floor, we noticed he struggled to get onto the chair a few times as his back paws slipped backwards as he jumped up, solved the problem by getting a rubber backed mat which gave his back paws more grip

Dogs and Laminate flooring do not mix.
As well as being slippy they are very noisy on them (tap tap tap).

This is why we get carpets for in the hallways etc.

Sponsored Links
Back