Domestics - Lighting circuit fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been out this morning helping a colleague, the reported fault was something like 'an electrician has changed a light and now the lights don't work'.

This is a rental property and the new tenant reported a shock off a metal light fitting, the ceiling height is ~7ft and laying in the front garden are several chandelier style fittings looking to be >> 1ft tall/drop, all 5 downstairs lights changed to regular roses on Tuesday by the guy sent in by the landlord, he spent most of the day there and promised to return Wednesday to get it working.

Tenant demonstrated instant tripping when RCBO reset, test label on CU and copy of EICR dated Feb 2024. Very standard loopin at rose wiring by 3x 3/0.029 twin (no E) except the last with only 2. 2 fittings had; 2x red + 1x black in 'loop', rest had all red in 'loop'.

We started on the living room as closest to CU and found this;
1727956695271.jpeg
the scrawl on left being my notes the capitals on right being legible. Assuming it was first on the system it didn't explain the tripping.
We changed tack and identified the 5 switch drops and were going to reconfigure to suit but decided to identify every wire to ensure against the unexpected; All 5 fittings were incorrectly wired.
We were there for under 2 hours, I hate to think how long it would have taken a DIYer coming on here for help to resolve.

Agents pics dated Feb 24 prior to previous tenant moving in show rose/pendant so the assumption is previous tenant changed them.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back