double dimmer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have removed an old double dimmer (the turning type) and am having trouble getting both of the switches on the new one to work. Now have forgotten the way the original was wired - stupid I know.
Anyway I have 2 lives and 1 neutral coming out of the wall (and earth) and 1 independent length of live wire to interconnect the two sets of terminals in the switch unit. On the back I've got L1, L2 and C terminals twice. Where should the separate piece of red wiring cross over to and from, and basically where do all the wires go?
Would really appreciate some help. Thanks marcia

Sponsored Links
as you didn't make a drawing it will be a case of trial and error sorry

But i can tell you the link should go across the C terminals (one in each c)

you should then put one wire (your choice) into one L1 another in the other L1 and the third wire in with the link in one of the C terminals.

I am presuming you do not have a tester / meter

the earth should be connected to the back box and linked to the earth terminal on the switch if it has one, which it wont if it is palstic

Dear Breezer,
After a weekend and a half of agonizing over that dimmer switch, you have solved it just like that! Very many thanks, I shall spend the evening playing with different ambient lighting levels.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back