Double Glazing seal deterioration.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, After years of saving and with our help, our daughter is in the process of buying her first home. Problem is that the double glazing sealant has deteriorated on the inside and has become very sticky- I assume caused by an inappropriate cleaning product. All windows are otherwise in good condition.The trouble is they were fitted from the outside so any re-sealing would involve scaffolding, in order to remove each units to access the seal, which is I assume a big expense. Unfortunately,even with my meagre help, she just can't afford any more expense. Question is has anyone else come accross this problem and can anyone suggest a cheap solution? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
what sealant do you mean?

are you talking about a rubber gasket - if it’s an old wedge gasket these can be pulled out from inside and if lucky might get a replacement to fit

a picture would help

How high are we talking? Is this a block of flats? As mentioned pics would help, to show the context.

I’ve never heard of Montgomeryshire, Ive just had to Google it….it’s in Wales.

Montgomery, the town looks like a nice period market town.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your interest and apologies for the delay in responding -I spent yesterday coping with the latest storms.
No1. I should have said it is the inner 'seal' and not sealant, which has become tacky/sticky
No2. Its a standard 2 storey 1970's semi. The windows are mainly one peice double glazed units each approx 4ft x 5ft and I assumed as the were fitted externally that they would have to be removed the same way to get at the seal- hence the need for scaffold for the bedroom windows. Unfortunately I'm the wrong side of 75 so I'll probably get a local firm in. I've never come across seal in this condition before and can only assume the detirioration has been caused by cleaning agent because every window in the house is affected and it's the seal all around each window.
No3. Montgomershire is the old county name which was amalgamated with Breckonshire and Radnorshire, all ancient counties, to form Powys.

I assumed as the were fitted externally that they would have to be removed the same way to get at the seal
On some old upvc there was a wedge gasket that has to be pulled out inside, then from outside the glass can be pushed backed and the beads removed

if it’s that type, the gasket can be taken out with the glass still in.

but it depends whether a similar gasket can be bought to replace

On some old upvc there was a wedge gasket that has to be pulled out inside, then from outside the glass can be pushed backed and the beads removed

if it’s that type, the gasket can be taken out with the glass still in.

but it depends whether a similar gasket can be bought to replace
Yep I have some like that. I brought a sample pack of rubber gasket sizes from ebay and from that decided on which size and shape i needed byt pulling out the old and comparing. From the inside I pulled out the old and fitted the new.
Its odd they have gone sticky as mine had dried out and slightly shrunk so not providing a perfect seal, I didnt bothr replacing it untill the unit had blown and did it all in one go.
I would say if no funds are available then just leave it. I am sure She will find worse things to worry about than a sticky rubber seal. :giggle:

The sale is in the very early stages so we haven't got full access yet and can't do anything until completion anyway. I was basically wondering if anyone had come across a similar problem, the answer is apparently 'no'. I'd like to get an idea of the work involved and cost so I'll get one of the local glazing firms in. We've used them in the past and they're good reliable blokes and I trust their advice.
Regarding getting it done, it might be put on her list for now, but, overtime, dust and bits of cleaning cloth etc have stuck making the seals look a bit grubby. The property might be 50 years old but it's her first house so the problem won't be on her list for long.
Thanks again for all the advice, nice to have somewhere to turn to.
Merry Christmas, all.

A picture would help but I suspect it's externally glazed then inside you either have a rubber gasket OR a security tape, either way it sounds like you have a sticky gloopy mess possibly in the corners, can you confirm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back