double plug socket location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody no if there are any regulations as to where or where not
you can have a plug socket because here's my problem.
I have just moved my gas cooker but where it is now there is a plug socket above the worktop but a couple of inches to the right of the cooker.Is this ok or will i have to move it because i have a problem with my council's building inspector and he says the regulations say that it is to close.Which i don't think it is as it is slightly further away than the electric cooker switch was.I would also appreciate it if the was any sort of litricture on this subject so any web links would be greatfull.

Sponsored Links
Pure

try searching this site for heights and positions of sockets, switches etcetera.

Did the BI say why it fell foul of the regs?

Any socket-outlet should be no closer than 300mm from any cooker, whether that cooker be gas or electric. Ideally it will be further, but 300mm seems to be an acceptable limit.

The nearest you get to the Regs making a comment on this is 553-01-06, and this simply states that socket-outlets should be placed at a height above the floor or other surface and located so as to reduce the risk of mechanical damage.

Whilst heat from a cooker is not mechanical damage, it is radiant thermal damage, I think you can use this Reg to cover this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back