downlight against wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came across a mains downlight that had been located in the middle of supporting timber in a floating ceiling. There was no evidence of darkening through heat but i was concerned.
Has anyone come across this problem?

Sponsored Links
HI
You can get a fireproof cover for lights, BUT "YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THE LIGHT IS DESIGINED FOR THIS USE" it could overheat and you need make sure the earthvolt loop impeidence is low so it will trip your mcb or fuse wire.

Onesongrg

onesongrg said:
HI
You can get a fireproof cover for lights, BUT "YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THE LIGHT IS DESIGINED FOR THIS USE" it could overheat
That won't do anything for problems related to the surface in which the downlighter is mounted. Also, they are fireproof covers - they do not trap or absorb heat. They are intumescent, and their purpose is to restore the fire-resistance of a ceiling by closing off the hole if there is a fire.

and you need make sure the earthvolt loop impeidence is low so it will trip your mcb or fuse wire.
¿que?

Well ban,
It is total impossible to give a full answer unless you can see the job itself, fireproof covers are controlled by temperature rises if a light was to get to hot, before it cauld course damage to the surface it foams up to prevent a fire, earth volt loop impedance if the cable was to get hot and melt you know as well as i do you require a low resistance on the earth (low enough) to trip or brake the rated mcb/fuse.

Why not answer the question instead off dismissing my answer?

Onesongrg

Happy New Year!!

Sponsored Links
onesongrg wrote:
earth volt loop impedance

I think you're trying to say
Earth Fault Loop Impedance

BAS (and others) are slightly suspicious that you don't know what you're talking about and are using semi-technical language to mask your ignorance.

Sadly you're using the terms incorrectly and BAS is inviting you to clarify your post.

Thermal effects of downlighters are not addressed by "earth fault loop impedance" - that's an issue concerning a phase to earth fault.

Chapter 42 in the wiring regulations covers it nicely.

Are you concerned about the surface it's mounted on, or what's above it?

BAS,

Bit of both really. The timber surrounds the top and one half of the fitting -the timber has been drilled out and the fitting inserted. As stated there appears to be no sign of blackening and the heat out of the fitting is not that much (to my hand), but i would like some adicve/reassurance. To tell this old lady it needs removed will cause a nightmare...

thanks

Look to see if the fitting is "F" marked. If it is, it is suitable for mounting in or on a combustible surface.

Look for an F in an inverted triangle.

If in doubt, contact the mfr.

I have had it from mfrs in the past that they sanction a fitting mounted in or on a combustible surface if the lamp wattage is derated, but quite how you are supposed to police this post-install, I don't know. However, this is the same for all light fittings which can be abused by higher-wattage lamps than those intended.

HNY to all, BTW.

I thought GU10s only came as non dichroic? Couldnt actually see an 'F' marked on the fitting so will need to contact the manufacturer - Ansell.

thanks

every days a schools day... cheers.
The lamp is a GU 10 (PAR) and should do the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back