Downstairs loo query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I sectioned off my conservatory 20 years ago and put in a self contained downstairs (Saniflo) wc and washbasin. I followed the building regs applicable at the time by ensuring there was a lobby between the existing kitchen and the new wc, together with ventilation of the new wc to the outside air. However, because I was not extending the property or carrying out any new construction I did not think it necessary to obtain Building or Planning permission.

However, I am now about to sell the property and my question is :-

Regardless as to whether I should or should not have applied for B/Regs at the time, can I now claim established use.

Sponsored Links
Works that happened approx. 20 years ago? I'd expect the LA Building Control department to have seen 2/3 generations in that time :LOL: You have nothing to worry about.

I apologise for taking so long to respond but I have been away for a couple of days. However, I thank you for your reply and you more or less confirm what I thought. When I sell the house I won't even bother to mention the Loo!! :D

I don't think there is a time limit as to how long Building Reg's can take enforcement action (unlike planning), but 20 years ago... then I think you're pretty much safe.

Sponsored Links
The limitation on enforcement of building regs is 12 months so you can forget that. That doesn't stop building control taking out some other action - but that will only happen if it is dangerous or a public nuisance.

Don't mention it. If anybody does pick it up just give them that I don't know look and tell them it's been there 20 years.

Thanks both of you. As you say I don't intend to mention the downstairs
loo but if anyone asks I will tell them it was there when I moved in??

I sectioned off my conservatory 20 years ago
Regardless as to whether I should or should not have applied for B/Regs at the time, can I now claim established use.
I was sectioned 20 years ago...Now look @ me :LOL: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back