DPC and DPM confused ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I wonder if I can get some clarification on the next step of my renovation. The house is in France and is solid stone walled. As with most old houses it has no DPC or DPM. We are at a stage were we are looking to dig out the ground floor to add a slab and insulate with a DPM. I am aware that this might push moisture back to the walls. This would rise due to no DPC. I cannot use an injection DPC due to solid stone, no courses for capillary action. So should I cut the walls and add a DPC retrospectively? Or should I lower earth levels outside and add a french drain around the house? The roof is new as are gutters and downpipes, just done last month. Worried DPM will make walls damp?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Add a plastic/slate dpc, subject to local bylaws on appropriate methods (the local mayor?).

OP,
1. At the moment are there any damp issues in the floors or the walls?
2. Is the house on a hillside?
3. Are the interior walls bare stone or plastered over - what about the outside surfaces? Can you post pics?
4. Respect but do you know how to tell the difference between solid stone walls & random rubble filled walls with stone facings?

Sponsored Links
Hi ree

As far as I have seen the gable end has a
"tide" Mark of darker plaster which was cold and damp. This was under plasterboard we stripped out. The floors are cold but not damp I was only lifting them to insulate as an energy cost saving measure. The house is on level ground and has gravel around it but I plan to fit a french drain around the house as a precaution. As far as I know they are solid stone as they have smooth surfaces covered in a thick french plaster can't remember the name. It's about 1 inch thick. There isn't a rubble infill on the exterior walls we have looked at closely.

I could be wrong though I'm no expert on french house building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back