DPM on top of the plinth? Garden office.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, here we go..

I have a detached garage built in the sixties with a substantial plinth. The garage is now gone allowing me to have a good look at the plinth. It's square and has a depth of over 150mm. It's downside is that there's no DPM.

The plan is to build a garden office on top of the the plinth.

The BIG question is;
Is it ok to stick a DPM over the top of the concrete plinth and build my timber frame office on top of it? I assume there are some additional problems that come into play such as trying to fix the office to the plinth penetrating the dpm?

I'm going to pre-empt people suggesting other ways of creating a suspended floor over the plinth (ground screws/piles), but I'd rather retain the height and come off the plinth. Perhaps using a Premium DPM and also using DPC under timber for the sake of 'belts and braces'. Where does this idea fall down? Does it fall down? Let me know ;)

..Something I've just thought about. Would it be worth applying an epoxy DPMS? Has anyone any experience with it?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I assume this is a slab foundation?

Issue you could see is moisture coming in underneath. But yea, need to see pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back