DPM under underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having my living room carpeted by Carpetright in a few weeks.

I am supplying the underlay which is Cloud 9 Cumulus 9mm or 11mm PU Carpet Underla, and will be installing it myself.

As the floor is concrete, do I need to put DPM under the underlay first?

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm having my living room carpeted by Carpetright in a few weeks.

I am supplying the underlay which is Cloud 9 Cumulus 9mm or 11mm PU Carpet Underla, and will be installing it myself.

As the floor is concrete, do I need to put DPM under the underlay first?

Many Thanks

You should'nt need any kind of DPM under the carpet unless you have a specific damp problem.

Are the carpet gripper and door bars down?

The fitters would normally fix each end of the underlay with some spray adhesive to keep it in place whilst they move the carpet around in the room when laying it out.

We didn't have any damp problems when we moved in. I won't bother with the DPM then.

The doorbars are down, but the carpet grippers aren't. I need to do that this weekend. Shall I get some spray adhesive then for the sides of the underlay?

It's not possible to install the underlay until the gripper is in place really and these will be spaced depending on how deep the carpet is that is being fitted, unless you were planning on laying the underlay wall to wall and expecting the fitter to cut the underlay back around the outside of the room to fit the grippers for you?

If you are just laying the underlay out for him to cut back, don't glue anything down and let the fitter supply/install the gripper to his specs - assuming he knows the gripper is not installed yet.

Sponsored Links
It's not possible to install the underlay until the gripper is in place really and these will be spaced depending on how deep the carpet is that is being fitted, unless you were planning on laying the underlay wall to wall and expecting the fitter to cut the underlay back around the outside of the room to fit the grippers for you?

If you are just laying the underlay out for him to cut back, don't glue anything down and let the fitter supply/install the gripper to his specs - assuming he knows the gripper is not installed yet.
My plan was to put down the gripper first then the underlay after. I thought the gripper only required a gap of about 8mm?

Are they proper carpet fitters. Never know any who would let a customer do the grippers.
The distance is usually 4-7mm depending on the thickness of the carpet. The whole point is to trap the carpet against the skirting.

Are they proper carpet fitters. Never know any who would let a customer do the grippers.
The distance is usually 4-7mm depending on the thickness of the carpet. The whole point is to trap the carpet against the skirting.
I didn't want to pay for it as Carpetright were charging a fortune. The other rooms, they said they'll use the current grippers. They didn't mention anything about the thickness of the carpets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back