drain smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a drain inspection hatch under the floorboards of my hall. Below is about a 4' drop to a trap before presumably the waste water meets the main sewer. Despite sealing this cover with first grease and then mastic there is still a bad smell escaping. Should I have an airtight hatch or something?

Sponsored Links
I am not a drains expert, but are you sure the smell is coming from the cover and not from somewhere further down the pit?

I was under the impression you can't have drain inspection cover under the floorboards unless it's a very old property.Best to get a manhole cover that you screw it down with a sealer as the smell give off gas.

Also have you check the soil air-vent is not blocked with bird nest etc......

there is a cover that bolts down and stop gasses I have one in my garage as specified by local authority planning..we still get a whiff now and again though!!??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back