Drainage in victorian terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(edit - put text in front of pictures)
Hello all,
I've been experiencing some (rising)damp that has started to smell at times and I think I have found the cause. The drainage of the house collects at the back garden in the side return and then feeds into the main sewer which runs under the gardens of all houses. I've opened some of the decking and found that the hopper was completely filled up until the rim. After clearing out about 10kg of gunk the hooper mostly drained. The hopper in question collects drainage from the kitchen sink, dishwasher, washing machine and an upstairs bathroom sink+shower. Toilet foul water runs directly into the large pipe and that appears to be fine.

I've attached some pictures. Some of the pipe work seem inadequate, e.g. the white one on the right is not even pointing directly over the hopper. My question is, what is the typical structure of such a drainage with a hopper? Reason I am asking is that I see gaps all around the hopper and if the hopper is blocked, any excess water will just spill over and run into the gaps. Is there a larger manhole underneath such as that most of the excess spill will actually still go into the main sewer? On the left side there is even a large piece missing, which would also risk rodent entry.

n.b. I am looking at the possibility of doing a side return extension maybe next year, so the entire wall (which shows clear signs of rising damp) and drainage will be rebuilt. So for now I am looking for a temporary solution to reduce the risk of further damage.

IMG_9160.jpeg
IMG_9162.jpeg
IMG_9163.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You could relocate the upstairs pipe into the soil pipe to shift some of the existing load and cover the gully with a plastic grate pending your extension. Check and clear it regularly.

make the r/h white pipe longer so it's over the hopper. Under the hopper will be a trap , same size as the pipework 110mm plastic no manhole.

make the r/h white pipe longer so it's over the hopper. Under the hopper will be a trap , same size as the pipework 110mm plastic no manhole.
Thanks for this and the info.....no wonder I got damp all over.. that hopper was filled up to the top and all the sink waste just went overboard into the ground!

I just grabbed some extra PVC to extend the white one.

The gap in the top l/h side then I can cover+fill with some metal mesh and repair cement, at least to seal as best as possible in case it clogs up again. At least I now know to check there regularly.

Sponsored Links
k that hopefully should improve things. Filled the gap with a metal mesh and repair cement and all the gaps around the hopper, so hopefully not all waste water will flow down along my outside wall potentially weakening the foundation.

- Used a 45 elbow to get the white one to unload over the hopper
- Added a clip to push the angled black pipe away from the wall
- Shortened the angled black one, as the vertical black pipe was unloading right on top of it. The vertical one is attached to the washing machine so has quite some flow when the machine empties.

IMG_9182.jpg

k that hopefully should improve things. Filled the gap with a metal mesh and repair cement and all the gaps around the hopper, so hopefully not all waste water will flow down along my outside wall potentially weakening the foundation.

- Used a 45 elbow to get the white one to unload over the hopper
- Added a clip to push the angled black pipe away from the wall
- Shortened the angled black one, as the vertical black pipe was unloading right on top of it. The vertical one is attached to the washing machine so has quite some flow when the machine empties.

View attachment 347341
The whole thing is an unsuitable mess, i.e. decking above DPC and against the house - a drain hopper servicing no less than FIVE outlets and poorly located - no way for anything to get dry because of the decking etc.

If it wasn't for that drain-off valve' Id have said raise the hopper. Can you not lose a couple of those wastes into a boss on the SVP?

If it wasn't for that drain-off valve' Id have said raise the hopper. Can you not lose a couple of those wastes into a boss on the SVP?
Possibly, but that definitely goes beyond my DIYer skillset. Would need to get someone to so this. And given that we might take that wall down next year not sure it’s worthwhile..

At the moment it appears that bloody rodents have used this hole. 2 days later the concrete was all scratched off! I’ve refilled it now and sprinkled some rodent poison on there…
IMG_9204.jpeg

I have had this done now properly by a plumber. We've done a CCTV drainage survey and it turns out this gulley is completely collapsed and everything was going straight into the ground. Plumber cleaned up the piping (one was even redundant) and rerouted everything into the SVP. I think it's a good solution given the circumstances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back