Drayton Wiser smart heating install questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've just moved into a new home and want to install a Drayton Wiser heating system here. I installed it at our last place but understood the plumbing set up a lot better and it was much simpler!
What we have is a combi boiler, as well as a hot water tank, and I think a cold water tank in the loft.
Firstly, is a Drayton Wiser system possible on this type of set up? I tried to use the product selector on their website and it seems to say yes, if it's pumped but not if it isn't? Is that correct? If so, how would I find out if it's a pumped system or not?
Secondly, if it is possible I'm assuming I would need a wiser 2 kit?
Also, if we were to add some wet underfloor heating, would I need to consider anything else?
Lastly, if it's not possible, are there any alternatives for a similar kind of system?
I've attached a photo of the boiler programmer in case it's helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 12
Sponsored Links
I think so, but could be wrong! We only moved a couple of days ago so just getting familiar with it all! It's a Greenstar 30CDi system.
Photo attached

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 13
I think so, but could be wrong! We only moved a couple of days ago so just getting familiar with it all! It's a Greenstar 30CDi system.
Photo attached
The Greenstar 30CDi comes in many flavours!
Could.you show us a better pic of the user manual?

Sponsored Links
Sure. See photo!
Yes, not a combi! :)

A Wiser Kit 2 should be a direct swap-out of your existing programmer; possibly even fitting on the same backplate, with no wiring changes.

For future upgrades, I.e. adding underfloor heating, you can add an extra Kit 1 - it's not worth having a Kit 3, as although it includes control of an extra zone, it doesn't have the Hot water off terminal that your Y plan system requires.

You also have the option of adding smart TRVs, should the budget allow.

Oh dear! ‍Thanks for the speedy reply and re-education! Very much appreciated!
So is this a condensing boiler not a combi?
And presumably the system I described is a gravity fed system? Presumably not likely pumped?
I think we’ll do the smart trv’s. I was going to put them everywhere apart from towel rails and the hall rad.
I was also thinking of putting the thermostat in our baby’s room for most accurate temperature there. Do you think that’s logical or would you put it elsewhere? Or even consider 2 thermostats?

Thanks again. Love the knowledge you help with!

So is this a condensing boiler not a combi?
Yes, it's a condensing boiler, not a combi.
And presumably the system I described is a gravity fed system? Presumably not likely pumped?
Only you can tell what system you have, as only you can find all its components!
Although I can't confirm anything, your controller suggests you have a pumped Y Plan system, and the boiler pressure gauge, being at 1.7 bar, suggests a sealed system - your cold water tank in the loft may be redundant, or not related to the heating system.
I think we’ll do the smart trv’s.
They are expensive, there's no harm in taking your time installing them - having just moved in, you don't know yet, how you will relate to the homes heating system.
I was also thinking of putting the thermostat in our baby’s room for most accurate temperature there.
The baby's room should be kept cooler than many other rooms in the house - NHS guidelines suggest about 18C. If the thermostat is kept in there, it may mean other rooms in the house don't come up to temperature, before the thermostat cuts off.
It would be more comfortable for you, to have the thermostat in a cool hallway/living room and control the bedroom temperature via its TRV.
If you don't yet have a gro-egg, I can definitely recommend one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back