Drill driver repair or leave?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really basic
The torque setting on my drill driver is missing a leaf spring, so when using less torque for the job, (the drill sounds like an impact driver) it vibrates the torque to a lower setting. So do I replace the spring or not. I am starting to save up for a new drill driver.

I am currently looking at and doing research on a Dewalt DCD706

I don’t like the sound of a impact tool, so they are off the list.

Deeper explanation

Okay, first of all, my mum is in Greece at the moment. So needing to either fix before she gets back or I just leave the drill driver as is.

It was about 3 years ago, I think… I kinda broke the drill driver, only a store named one, but I was fixing an old Xbox 360 controller, I used the driver and somehow hot glued, plastic welded, super glued and fused the Chuck via a missed placed soldering iron…

I had to take the drill apart to remove the Chuck, and noticed there was just one torque spring, so I either lost the other or it only came with one. So when I use the drill on something that is on the wrong torque for the job, the spring comes loose and vibrates to lower torque. The drill ends up sounding like an impact driver.

The thing is, I don’t think this would be happening if the spring tension was equal, so do I go and find/make a small leaf spring (from copper) - I have made a couple of these for things like my desktop mouse. Or do I just use as is?

I just want to say that Dean Doherty from YouTube is making me want to fix this slight problem. Should I try and get a different Chuck, one that is designed for this type of drill? I don’t know if the Chuck is lockable or just friction tight? I think this is the Chuck https://www.diy.com/departments/erbauer-3-8-keyless-chuck-cha72094/1474406_BQ.prd
Or this https://www.diy.com/departments/erbauer-3-8-keyless-chuck-cha86474/1738138_BQ.prd I could be completely wrong but they both look like they are the ones.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
ok confusion here
you say drill driver ??--not suitable for rusted bolts that requires a impact driver or a 1/2 whatever they are called automotive driver
hammer action is forward towards the drill tip to hammer a drill bit into a hole impact is side to side to multiply rotational forces and drive or remove large fixings

aaannnd torque control is no more than slip control on rotation something i never use [well about 1-2% max]

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1000041958.jpg

Okay, after some sleep, a clearer brain (no heavy medication- yet) so I always end up in a chatty state and I do end up talking about stuff that isn’t relevant. So I have cleaned up the post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back