Drilling 6mm holes in porcelain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I probably only need to drill into porcelain tiles a few times a year. When drilling 6mm holes for fittings, I hot melt glue to stick a thick perspex plate with a 6mm hole in it over the area to be drilled. It is accurate within 0.5mm but I have to then use a scraper to remove the glue.

I know people that say they just tilt the drill bit until it starts to score the tile. Whenever I try that, the bit just skates across the tiles...

Sponsored Links
But they will not go through porcelain... only diamond core bits will.
can you drill a hole in a piece of wood (with a wood drill slightly bigger) with cross markings going down the sides

then clamp it in place

Sponsored Links
can you drill a hole in a piece of wood (with a wood drill slightly bigger) with cross markings going down the sides

then clamp it in place
How will I clamp the wood to fitted tiles?

The reason that I am using the perspex is that I can see through the perspex. I can line it up and see the round pen mark on the tile.

I've always found a decent diamond drill in the cordless. I place the heel of the cordless on the surface and hold the drill firm at an angle until it bites in, then just gently come up straight. You do need to hold the heel of the drill on the surface otherwise as yous ay, it will skate across the tile. Try it on some scrap until you can do it every time.

Get yourself some of these. I have found them better than expensive diamond bits for really hard porcelain

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Get yourself some of these. I have found them better than expensive diamond bits for really hard porcelain

Tnx. I might order one of the Macrist arrow head bits

My main gripe with the small diamond bits is the core getting stuck in the bit- that said, I have just noticed a video on the Macrist site that says you are supposed to oscillate the bit whilst drilling. I guess that means the the core becomes conical and less likely to get stuck.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I've always found a decent diamond drill in the cordless. I place the heel of the cordless on the surface and hold the drill firm at an angle until it bites in, then just gently come up straight. You do need to hold the heel of the drill on the surface otherwise as yous ay, it will skate across the tile. Try it on some scrap until you can do it every time.

That makes sense, thanks.

Those bits I linked to are the nuts. And they arrive very quickly. Don't waste your money on the expensive bits as I have over the years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back