Drilling air holes through a joist…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve currently got all the floorboards up in our Victorian semi and I’m attending to a few things while I’ve got the chance. I’ve posted a few times about related queries and here is the next one…

The hallway currently has no direct ventilation. I’ve knocked out a couple of bricks below joist level to allow air to move from the adjacent room into the hallway, but I’m thinking I could also introduce some flow directly under the existing front door step.

In my last house, this had been done by a previous owner by drilling a number of holes directly below the front door step into the void below. However, in my new house the first joist in the hallway butts up to the front door step, so for any holes to be effective I would have to also go straight through that first joist.

As long as I don’t go mad, can anyone see any problems with using a long drillbit to go through the wooden plinth under the doorstep and then through the joist beyond? I would aim to drill down at an angle so that the airflow is directed down into the void, rather than straight through the joist into the space where I’m planning to put insulation!

What sort of size holes can I drill and how many could I get away with in this situation, before the joist is compromised?!

Sponsored Links
Perhaps helpful to add the joists are 150mm deep. This particular joist is about 1m wide and rests on a bearer wall at both ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back