Driveway extension retaining wall question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I joined the forum because I keep coming across info on this forum when searching however I have not found exactly what I need. I was hoping I could get some advice please. The property is on a downhill bend so it is lower than the road it is on and already has an elevated driveway. Is it possible to make a retaining wall thicker so that you can extend an elevated driveway over it towards a house by about 1-1.2m? Or do you always have to take the retaining wall out, fill it then build a new retaining wall? Google maps does not show the actual driveway well enough so I found some examples here:

I have read that if the retaining wall is over 1m high then a structural engineer's design is a must and in this case the retaining wall is over 1m high, which I think will make it more difficult to DIY. Also as you can see in the example, the driveways stretch across the width of the houses. This is not currently the case as it has steps in the middle and then another elevated section to the right about half the size of the driveway which also needs to be extended towards the house. I am new to this, what I am really looking for is some keywords and understanding to do some more research in order to weigh some options. Second picture in this article is what I am trying to ask about. What are these type of driveways called? Elevated driveways?

When you extend a driveway like this, does drainage also become an issue? Lastly I understand this is pretty varied depending on size and materials used but is it generally very costly to extend this type of existing driveway to go from covering about 18m^2 to 45m^2? Is it even possible?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
No, it's not. Common sense and building knowledge is.

Can you bullet point the questions?

Thanks for your reply.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to make a retaining wall thicker so that you can extend an elevated driveway over it towards a house by about 1-1.2m? Or do you always have to take the retaining wall out, fill it then build a new retaining wall?
2. What are these type of driveways called? Elevated driveways? Are there any specific building related words to search for?
3. When you extend a driveway like this, does drainage also become an issue?
4. Lastly I understand this is pretty varied depending on size and materials used but is it generally very costly to extend this type of existing driveway to go from covering about 18m^2 to 45m^2? Is it even possible?

I found a better example:

Just want to understand the feasability of extending this kind of drive a bit forward and to the right (where the white car is). If its something relatively tedious and only a few can do therefore generally expensive or if its something common.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back