Driveway materials and quantities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of building a budget driveway - we're having an extension on the front built later in the year which will affect the driveway, so as I said, this is temporary, being forced by the purchase of an EV and the council saying I cant charge it across the pavement. The driveway will be the whole front garden, and is for parking one van, one car and a setting down point for the builders.

The pavement is about a foot higher than what was the lawn. I'm going to create a gradient on the driveway. I've knocked down the front wall, laid down heavy landscape fabric, and using the bricks arranged flat to make up some ground to pad it out a bit. I plan to use road planings as the top surface - this wont create white dust everywhere. Unless there's a reason I shouldn't use this? But what should I use to make up the slope and sub surface? I was thinking fine crushed brick (6f2?) to make up the volume, run over it with a plate compactor. Then a layer of landscape fabric, then the road planings - again, compacted down.

My plan is in future the planings can be removed, then a permanent surface put down.

The drive dimensions are approx 6700 x 7700mm, and I've got between 100-200mm of height to make up at various points across the driveway. What sorts of quantities should I be looking at? There's a company nearby who delivers loose recycled aggregates between 5 and 11 tonnes.

I have a contractor lined up to drop the kerb (council approved). Rotherham council wanted around £3000, contractor wants £1280.

20240524_205230.jpg

Sponsored Links
You need to remove the grass and soil before putting down any aggregate,
and at 200mm about 25 tonne.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back