Durgo valve for cast iron soil pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have converted my loft for storage but when doing it there was a smell in there. I have now found out that it is coming from the top of the soil pipe and the smell is coming in through the tiles and felt. I know you can get durgo valves for plastic pipe but was wondering if you can get them for cast iron soil pipes ?

Sponsored Links
Can you not chop some of the cast iron down and stick on an adaptor to connect some 4 1/2" plastic so your AAV can slot in. However I'm sure you can probably buy an AAV that will fit cast iron.

I am not sure about that, I would need some more information to be honest. Can a durgo valve be exposed outside or does it have to be in a building ?

I can’t see why you couldn’t use one externally, The following link shows the inside of one and its hard to see why it wouldn’t work ok although I suppose it might freeze up in the winter? And you could paint it to match the cast iron one. I’m sure you could get an appropriate adapter. Presumably you’re trying to avoid the cost of cutting the pipe below roof level and then patching over the roof?
http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Docs/6/03976/external/AG861737.pdf?ac=

ps if you're scanning the web you'll get more results if your search for an air admittance valve rather than durgo.

Sponsored Links
A lot of durgos (e.g. the Screwfix one) are made of two parts - the bottom is a 4" pushfit connector which can remove to leave a 3" socket.

I did this, then used a rubber connector (often called a Fernco) to join the cast pipe to the durgo.

Is the durgo allowed to be exposed out of the roof tiles ?

If your stack pipe has gone this far, then you don't need an AAV. :rolleyes: :LOL:

There a smell coming in from where the soil pipe is. It cant be anything in the loft as it has been re-insulated,new floor, the lot. Where the soil pipe is you can smell it through the felt sometime's. Are in the main outlet for the whole street,. 30 house run along and out through a man hole in are front garden. Could it still be the soil pipe or definitely not ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back