Earth bonding question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came across this neat looking product:

ezybond11.jpg

http://www.memonline.com/ezybondearth.html

Looks like it could save a professional sparky valuable time compared to wrestling with those wretched metal strap jobbies, which in my experience (and I'm actually not that clumsy) strip their threads 1 time in 3 or 4.

But I thought that earth connections had to be unbroken, i.e. the cable run is continuous, with sections of insulation removed where it visits a clamp rather than the cable cut?

Sponsored Links
I maybe wrong but my thought would be if it on the hot pipe would it become softer or bristle then undone or is it fireproof,would it then melt and would that cause problem compared to the metal fitting type?

Can we trust it not to come undone?

Be interesting to see what the others think.............

Oh I'm sure they'll have thought of that.

The website claims "Manufactured in heat and UV stabilised nylon 6.6 embodying excellent mechanical properties, chemical, heat resistance and self extinguishing characteristics."

Looks good.....I think it would only be good for end of line connections (ie, main equipotential bond to gas / water) wouldn't want to mess around when doing supplementary bonding in the bathroom....depends on cost aswell..is it worth the extra?

Sponsored Links
il78 said:
Looks good.....I think it would only be good for end of line connections (ie, main equipotential bond to gas / water) wouldn't want to mess around when doing supplementary bonding in the bathroom
Why not?

....depends on cost aswell..is it worth the extra?
Dunno what they cost, and anyway - only people for whom there is a time=money equation can make that determination.

xbonding needs to be continious, so this means cutting the insulation back with a knife (as you do anyhows) then threading the new earth clamp down the 6.0mm (like beads) to clamp onto the gas.......right or wrong.

and time is money, is it not?

sorry, clamp onto the water pipes in the bathroom (DOH)

Surely yes to gas pipes too, if you have them in the bathroom? (eg Ascot heater).

That's what I thought about the way you were supposed to wire - and it doesn't look as though that fancy clamp would slip over the insulation. Might be wrong.

Needs one of you pros to ask your supplier to ask MEM for some free samples - I'm sure they'd oblige.

i will phone our reps tomorrow and see if i can get a demo out

sorry been stuck in health and safety training

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back