Electric gate posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install an electric gate (swing gate style) on my property.

I will get my Electrician mate to handle the electrics (while i peep over his shoulder :)), but I will do all the rest of the work - digging, poles, hooking up components etc.

I have a list of components as I originally wanted someone to fit but being a keen DIYer, I am now doing it myself. My style of gate (steel gate) is one where the shorter side is 1.8m high rising to 2.4m high.

The guy who provided parts list suggested i need 150mmx150mmx6mmx3m steel posts. I plan to dig in my poles so wondering why i need 3m rather than 2.4m. The side with the lugs is 1.8m high so figured i could then drill a hole 600mm deep. Am i getting my math wrong?

Sponsored Links
600mm doesn't seem anything like deep enough for such gates, you'd do 600mm just for a fence post.
Many thanks for your response. much appreciated.

You recon if my post above ground is 1.8m, then I will need about 1.2m dug in?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You recon if my post above ground is 1.8m, then I will need about 1.2m dug in?
The weight of the gate(s) will exert a horizontal force on the posts that will topple the posts if the foundations are too shallow.

In soft ground a beam below ground level with buttresses may be needed to ensure the posts remain upright.
N gate beam.jpg

Last edited:
The weight of the gate(s) will exert a horizontal force on the posts that will topple the posts if the foundations are too shallow.

In soft ground a beam below ground level with buttresses may be needed to ensure the posts remain upright.
View attachment 350237
Many thanks. I think i will go go for the 3m post with a 1.2m dig. I will concrete it. Soil is clay so very sticky. Gates are steel and 2.5m wide each.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back