Electric shower to be disconnected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am undertaking a project to refit/tile the entire bathroom. We currently have an electric shower which will be no longer needed. The electric feed for the shower goes outside of the house from the Connection unit, up the exterior of the building the re enters the house in the bathroom (a little concerning, although i am no electrician and just assume that this is not best practice).

Anyway, i have disconnected the shower/switches etc, and currently have safely capped of the live cable in my bathroom to allow for further prep of the room. Given this is no longer needed i intent to pay some kind and qualified fellow to disconnect this from the fuse cupboard for me.

I did wonder though, could this cable be used for a outdoor socket if done correctly? Or capped off outdoors as an interim measure until a get a spark to pay me a visit.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ste :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Is the cable from the fuseboard to the switch/shower twin and earth? (flat grey stuff). Not best practice to clip it along the outside of the wall on the exterior of the house, pretty poor to be honest.

When you say you have made the cable safe how do you mean? It really ought to be disconnected from its associated mcb/fuse. In the mean time i like to see a lock placed on the mcb with a tag, also insulate the bare ends of cable at the shower and switch location.

oh and the shower cable isnt suitable to be used as a socket feed so scrap that idea.

securespark wrote

It would if you put it on a 32A device.

well, technically you are correct but imo not best practice.....what size are we talking anyway? 6mm....possibly then, 10mm....no chance.... for what it takes to install a outdoor socket its best done correctly.

it may well be ok to do, but the picture i have in my head is saying yuk :D

Sponsored Links

Hi all

thank you both for reply. I will scrap the idea of turning into outside socket. i agree running up the side of house is a discrace.

I just need to disconnect from mcb. is that easy enough to do or should a pay an electrician. I am very competent at DIY but by no means a spark.

See picture of my mcb, bit off a mess (next job to be sorted in newly bought house).

Red arrow shows shower cable coming into elec cupboard, it goes to a fuseof its own (blue arrow), which is fed elsewhere in the cupboard by a similar large white twin and earth (working backwards in my description).

any help/suggestions?

Mess? That's not a mess.

This is a mess:

IMGP1270-1.jpg

But on a more serious note - do my eyes/monitor deceive me, or is there no main earth conductor?

I certainly can't see one from the supplier, and no RCD if it's a TT supply.

Also it looks as though the two 1 way wylex boards are fed of the top of the main switch of the 4 way CU in ~6.0mm² twin and earth cable :confused:

<edit> that looks like a 40A MCB in that shower CU too. What's the maximum outgoing device rating of those?

hmm.... Sounds like my elecrics need sorting sooner rather than later (although i dont fully understand your lingo :confused: )

Two questions - can i easily disconnect that shower cable from the CU? If so, is it as easy as turning them all off, and disconnecting! :oops:

Secondly, whats the diagnosis on my electrics, am i screwed? Is this going to const a fortune? :rolleyes:

Thanks again peeps, your help is much appreciated!

im worried now, you buggers! :LOL:

Ill have to have another lager to help me sleep....

i wont put kitchen light on thou just in case! (fridge light will do :p )

Get a PIR!!!

I would loose both those wylex domino collections, find some earthing PDQ and have that made neat and tidy!!

It is ver ver busy in there

seriously, can you help me in laymans terms!

:oops:

Can i disconnect easily (safely) myself?

how much to make this whole mess safe and moddern CU?

:?:

Before you do anything you must get your earthing sorted out - this is very very important.

New CU, tidying up, removing the shower - these can all wait, but the earthing can't.

I've just put the image into photoshop & zoomed in.

It is very blurred, but there does seem to be something attached to the cutout where an earthing conductor should be.

Can't read the writing on the 1 way Wylex box, though! Although there is a 30A 1361 fuse below it.

ok thanks guys, ill ring round some sparks today!

really appreciate the advice. Should you want a closer/clearer picture i can upload for your info! Let me know which bits you need a close up on!

Ill let you know how i get on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back