Electric shower valve failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had 2 Triton T80 Electric showers, and on both the solenoid valve assembly housing (the plastic part of the valve) has completely broken in two at random moments when not in use over the last 3 years. Both times has been during periods of hot weather. The break in the housing is very straight - could manufacturing adhesive have failed in the heat? Is this a known defect? Is there any external cause which would cause this valve to break, ie excess water pressure? Just trying to figure out whether to replace, or need to investigate other causes. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Very unlikely to be excess water pressure since they are designed for 10bar static pressure. The T80 (here) is a mains supplied shower but in the UK, some, like the T80SR is a pumped shower with a integral pump inside the shower, just ensure that yours isn't a pumped shower as it must be fed from a CWSC in that case.
The only problem I've come across while installing a few T80s for relatives is that they are quite sensitive to the surface mounting beig level and I had one that wouldn't turn on, the other wouldn't turn off, even though the tiles seemed quite level, I just slackened the mounting screws a 1/4 turn or so, problems disappeared.

Thanks, Johntheo5. I have the Triton T80 Easifit+ which is a mains-fed system. Thinking about it, occasionally in the past the pipework to this unit seems to have had an airlock or blockage or something - low pressure alert on and won't power on. (This is a rarely used spare bathroom shower), which clears itself. Would this indicate a potential sudden high-pressure event when an airlock/blockage clears itself? I've always been suspicious of the pipework leading into the unit which seems very higgeldy piggeldy immediately before entering the shower (see pic - I've capped this off currently as a precaution but indicated the old pipework route) and also indicated what seems to be a particularly narrow corner. When i removed the shower inlet and pipework there was some white sludge in there. The shower pipework within the wall is 22mm and then reduces to 15mm when it exits the wall. Thanks for your help - just trying to ascertain if there's problems with the system or just the shower!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 17.14.09.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 17.14.09.png
    871.1 KB · Views: 9
It could possibly be air locking combined with a rise in temperature, I have a easifit myself, no problems.

Sponsored Links
This is how the valve assembly broke - it seems like this plug should have been glued in but adhesive failed. Just poor-quality component or component pushed beyond capacity?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 18.38.15.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 18.38.15.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 18.38.21.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 18.38.21.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
You could ask Triton if they have come across this before, I will post a reference to this shortly on our "boards.ie" website, a contributor on there who has a company that installs over a 1000 showers per year might have seen this before.

You could ask Triton if they have come across this before, I will post a reference to this shortly on our "boards.ie" website, a contributor on there who has a company that installs over a 1000 showers per year might have seen this before.

Quote from installer:

"That's interesting alright. I've never seen this before but we don't have the water pressure they have in parts of the UK. Up to 10 or 15 bar in some areas.

If manufacture fault then I'd expect to see lots of comments on the UK forums. If not manufacturer issue then I'd wonder if inlet pressure exceeds maximum. I wonder if pressure reducing valve is needed or faulty if they already have one installed?"

Maybe your best bet is to purchase and install a 0 to 15bar pressure gauge where you have blanked off the shower supply.

I've never seen a shower solenoid valve opened up,
is there a diaphragm in the upper part and which port is the water inlet?.

1719490406718.png

there was a small black diaphragm (intact) and spring in the upper part, yes. they fell out when i took the valve assembly out of the unit to investigate/photograph. I have had this happen twice - exactly the same and same time of day/weather (even same day of the week thinking about it!) , each time mains water gushing out of the shower unit, down pipework, through walls etc. just lucky I was home and heard the running water each time. The water flows into the valve from left to right in the above pic. Really appreciate you taking the time to give this some thought!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back