Electric Showers and Power Cuts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've had a power cut on a few occasions, not related to the shower, but for the following few days the pressure coming from the shower has been much stronger, slowly returning back to normal within a week. Does anyone have an explaination of why the power being cut could cause this to happen? I've got no ideas at all, and wonder if it's normal.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
im no expert but your shower might need recomisioning :D have you still got the manual 4 the shower?

Sponsored Links
I think the power cut stopped the pumps to the local water tower working and when the power came back on the pumps went on overtime and filled the water tower to unprecedented levels. Thus causing a temporary high pressure on the water supply.

But I am no expert

Is it in fact the water pressure that alters or the water flow?

Pressure is determined by the head hence the comment about the water tower.

Flow will be hampered by any restrictions in the pipework.

I doubt a water tower would be that tall, and that unregulated, as to allow a head increase high enough to give you an increased pressure at the shower head.

One theory to add to the mix. Your shower is usually regulating (read restricting) the flow at the temperature you're using it at. When the electricity company switch the supply back on, they start it off at a higher voltage to reduce inrush through the breakers/fuses or have configured the system somewhat such that a higher voltage occurs (tap changing on the transformer/jigging the feed etc). The higher voltage causes your shower to heat the water to a higher temperature with less flow restriction. After a bit of soak testing, the electricity company put it all back to normal at the 'normal' voltage and your flowrate goes back down.

But then again I'm no expert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back