Electrical and CH Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of questions: -

1. I want to provide a power feed to an outbuilding on my property. I propose to wire in a ring main from the CU to the outbuilding. I believe that the regs. state a max. floor area of 100sq.m and max. cable length of 50m. Whilst the floor area does not exceed 100sq.m the required cable length is just over the 50m (62m). Does anyone know of a way around this but safe??

2. I have a new combination boiler which loses pressure and I have to recharge it 2-3 times a month, whereas it should only need to be recharged 1-2 time a year. I have discovered a small leak from the boiler. Could this be the only reason for the pressure drop or is there likely to be a further leak in the system.

I would be grateful for some advice from any of you experts out there.

Sponsored Links
I think if you are running a cable to an outbuilding (presumably not connected to the house) you need a seperate fusebox in the outbuilding. I'm sure someone will give further details or consult IEE regs.

With the combi problem - fix the leak you have found and see what happens. Is the boiler venting through the overflow pipe (outside)?

Thanks for that!

I have since found out that I can take a single power cable, with a 45A MCB, to the outbuilding into a seperate 2/4way CU protected with an RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back