Electrical element for towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to find an electrical, horizontal towel rail and it is proving difficult. There is much better choice if it were a CH type (not electric).

Would it be possible to fit an electrical heating element into an ordinary towel radiator? Would it fit? Those electrical elements are 1/2" BSP and so are the towel rads, but am not sure if there is space inside.

Photo as an example

Attachments

• 2024-09-14 11_43_22-mctr5105a3_d3.webp - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    2024-09-14 11_43_22-mctr5105a3_d3.webp - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
???

Surely the electric only ones are oil filled?

Why can you not source a water based one?

Look at dual fuel towel rads - loads of them about. By their very nature they use the CH water or an electrical element to heat the water in the rad and not any other medium.

In essence I would suggest they are just normal towel rads with a T piece to allow an electrical element to be fitted therefore they would just use the CH's system water.

Inhibitor will be important to stop the element/rad from rusting out of course therefore are these any different to normal towel rads, I wouldn't think so.

I fitted one to a standard towel rail many, many moons ago. Moved houses with it as it was a 'bodged' electrical install and sort of still is today.

One will fit in vertically into the pictured rail instead of the valve on rhs or lhs (cable exiting vertically also). Just choose the correct length to fit about half-way up at most? Blank caps on the other bottom and one of the top, air bleed valve in the other top hole.

I part-filled it with plain tap water leaving an air space (important to do so to my mind). Then once it was on and hot opened the bleed valve to let the air, compressed by water expansion, out. No air in the water = little to no corrosion ? Plus hard water limescale on the element?? No inhibitor anyway ;)

It must be over 16 years old by now and still working OK. Operated by a smart switch timer control. Pretty sure I emptied it when moving home and the water wasn't dirty (but that was in 2016 and memories may not be accurate).

Sponsored Links
One will fit in vertically into the pictured rail instead of the valve on rhs or lhs (cable exiting vertically also)
I was thinking if that is the case or are there obstructions inside that make it impossible to insert the electrical element. I will have to ask the seller(s) but I doubt they would themselves even know.

The manufacturer would know.
But a seller could remove the temporary plastic plugs from the top/bottom and check with a torch?

The overpriced radiator has a drawing suggesting it is just a square section internally...
1726332948894.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back