Electrical screwdrivers with different heads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to buy electric screwdriver. What minimum speed or power should I consider for it to be worth buying?

Sponsored Links
There are two very different types of electric screwdriver, some simply turn the screw and have a torque release once the screw is tight enough, the other uses impact and can drive screws though wood which one could never dream of doing with a manual screwdriver.

The former uses standard bits and screws, the latter uses special impact bits and screws.

For home use, I have a couple of drills which double as screwdrivers, and are the former type, at work we have both, but one does need to be careful with the impact driver, they can do a lot of damage used in the wrong place.

whats your budget ?
What are you going to be doing with it - general DIY , outside construction , for work ?
What do you mean - with different heads - do you mean bits like PZ , PH , FLAT , TX, various sizes
Do you have a cordless system now at all

Most now are battery , few with a mains lead

ericmark , has explained a few things

you will often see offers on KITS , tools with batteries
These vary and often there are some really good deals around

like for example (dewalt down from £150 to £100 at the moment 19/7/24)

OR Combi & Impact driver (down from £300 to £220, at the moment )

Toolstation, screwfix & FFX often have deals on kits
combi drill , batteries , sometimes includes a Impact Drive ( I use an impact driver all the time for screws , BUT i made sure i got a 3 speed version, so I dont screw through the wood , as mentioned by ericmark)
Various makes around , if you intend to purchase other cordless tools , then making sure you get the right make with a good range of tools using the same batteries, so you dont end up with different battery platforms

Also th esize of battery,on the combi drill and impact driver - I often just use a 2AH for DIY stuff as its small and light ....and will easily last for a lot of DIY jobs before needing recharge . I also have 3Ah and 5Ah batteries , mostly used on other tools, BUT occasional i use on the Drill and Driver

Dewalt (my setup)
Milwaukee
Makita
and then a few of the cheaper range and store range , like lidl & Aldi
all depends on Use and Budget

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back