Electrical Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a shower cubicle and on the wall it will be installed there is a electrical socket. How can I stop the supply running to it so I can install the cubicle? I don't particularly want to take up any carpets upstairs in order to do this.

Sponsored Links
ian413 said:
I am installing a shower cubicle and on the wall it will be installed there is a electrical socket. How can I stop the supply running to it so I can install the cubicle? I don't particularly want to take up any carpets upstairs in order to do this.

f you wish to kill this cable then you have two options.

1: Locate the point it is fed from and disconnect it, however you will need to insure that other sockets are no fed further along the circuit from this point you wish to kill.

2: Disconnect the entire circuit in the Consumer Unit..No practical :D

Personally would suggect that do the first, and only practical option.

If the socket has only one cable in then it can be disconnected with no problem from the point it is spured off the existing ring, although if this is a JB under the floor you will need to gain access to this.

If the socket has two cables in it then it is either part of a ring main, which must not be split into two unless the feeds are put on two individual protective devices of lower rating..I do not advocate this action at all. or this socket could be part of a radial circuit but still feeds additional sockets after this point.

Realistically the only viable solution is to make a permanent joint in the cables and protect them in an enclosure flushed into the wall, however this is not a solution acceptable in BS7671 unless you use a purpose made joint kit.

I also have a question for you, this room you are putting the shower in, it was obviously not a bathroom or wc prior to this, so are there other points in the room? If there are sockets in this room then you must remove them as it is a breach of BS7671, No room containing a fixed bath or shower must contain socket outlets.

It may pay you to call in an electrician to resolve this problem for you so you be can confident it has been completed correctly and safely.

Not saying you cannot do that, but you may feel you don't have the skills or knowledge to achieve this.

FWL

What about a shower cubicle in a bedroom, where an outlet is permissable so long as it is 2.5+m away and is RCD-protected??

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
FWL

What about a shower cubicle in a bedroom, where an outlet is permissable so long as it is 2.5+m away and is RCD-protected??

Thanks, I forgot about that as usually showers are in seperate rooms..

I stand corrected :D

This room is a downstairs w.c and the house was built in 1985.The room is 2m by 2m, should this BS rule have been adhered to during construction? It is the only socket in the room, also I think I'll go for the jointing method so I suppose any electrical suppliers would have one?

Ban

Feeling feisty every day, mate!!! Just ask 'er indoors!! :LOL:

ian413 said:
This room is a downstairs w.c and the house was built in 1985.The room is 2m by 2m, should this BS rule have been adhered to during construction? It is the only socket in the room, also I think I'll go for the jointing method so I suppose any electrical suppliers would have one?

If it is a Toilet it should not have had a socket installed in it.

Wholesalers will have a joint kit, however ensure you read all the instructions, and follow them to a T when doing this. If you get it wrong there is no going back, you would have to cut the cables and insert a new piece, meaning two joints.

Take your time and don't allow yourself to be distracted.

Good Luck.

Sockets are not disallowed in toilets? In that case, most public toilets I go in are unlawful!!

securespark said:
Sockets are not disallowed in toilets? In that case, most public toilets I go in are unlawful!!

It is another of those cases where if your loo is big enough, then so long as the socket is 2m from a source of water your OK.

Domestic loos tend not to be this big.

Oh, I forgot.

Switches, too. They must be at least 0.6 metre away from the cubicle.

securespark said:
Oh, I forgot.

Switches, too. They must be at least 0.6 metre away from the cubicle.

From cubicle I assume you are making reference to Public Loos?

No, according to John Whitfield, this applies for shower cubicles, like the socket rule of 2.5m away. It is 0.6m for switches.

securespark said:
No, according to John Whitfield, this applies for shower cubicles, like the socket rule of 2.5m away. It is 0.6m for switches.

Aha, I though we were still talking about loos..sorry :D

My mistake. I do it a lot with the missus verbally. We stop talking about Subject A and move onto Subject B. Then out of the blue I'll start talking about Subject A again, and she'll say "You what?"

Drives her nucking futs.....

Talking of which have you heard the joke

Bloke goes to Quack. Dr, I've got a steering wheel on me pr*ck.

Dr - What's that doing there?

Bloke - Don't know, but it's driving me n*ts!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back