End of Line resitor connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how to wire a household alarm for end of line technology as the manufactures instructions are not very clear. I have a Texecom alarm sysem :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
its simple.

the panel is the begining of the line, and your last contact or detector is the end of line.
this applies to all circuits
Most panels that do this though, have a shunt resistor, has yours?

Two resistors required. These are supplied with panel.

4 core cable, 2 for the 12vDC and the other two to monitor the zone AND tamper

Texecom kit uses a 2K2ohm resistor at the end of the line, and a 4K7ohm resistor ACROSS the ALARM(zone) contact.

I will draw a pic...

Best to keep one detector per zone, and one cable per detector, as looping takes up space (a 6 core cable could feed 2 detectors on seperate zones with end of line).

Or better still - run a 6 core in, and wire it double pole :cool: you require 1 6 core per detector then.

alarm.gif

Sponsored Links
.............and for those of you watching in black and white, the 2k2 has 3 red bands, and the 4 k7 doesnt. (its yellow, violet red)

did computer monitors ever get made in black and white?

am too young to remember... when i got my first computer it had a 14" colour screen, 8X CR-RW, 2GB hdd etc... that was bout 10 years ago

I am wiring the detectors, one to each zone. There are shunt resistors supplied, although the 2 resistors are different; a 10K and a 22K. Could someone draw another diagram showing how 2 detectors are connected together and to the control panel showing the resistors or explain more fully. ( I can add to this) :confused:
I am wiring each detector with a 6 core cable. I am happy with the two supply cables, it is the wiring of the other 4 (blue/yellow tamper and white green alarm) and how they interlink. On the control panel there are 2 terminals for each zone and there is a further 2 terminals for the tamper. There is a tamper link supplied across the tamper terminals and the instruction book says with EOL operation the tamper link would usually be left in place. I understand the diagram left by Lectrician (many thanks). I don't understand how the detectors are connected together. I gather the resistors get hard wired into the control panel terminals and are connected across the terminals of the last detector in the line?

you have answered your own questions. (your writing is in blue)

I am wiring the detectors, one to each zone. There are shunt resistors supplied, although the 2 resistors are different; a 10K and a 22K. so far so good
Could someone draw another diagram showing how 2 detectors are connected together but you said I am wiring the detectors, one to each zone which means you do not need toand to the control panel showing the resistors or explain more fully.the drawing says it all ( I can add to this) :confused:
I am wiring each detector with a 6 core cable. I am happy with the two supply cables, it is the wiring of the other 4 (blue/yellow tamper and white green alarm) and how they interlink.
they dont see the drawing (ignore the green and white) On the control panel there are 2 terminals for each zone and there is a further 2 terminals for the tamper. There is a tamper link supplied across the tamper terminals and the instruction book says with EOL operation the tamper link would usually be left in place. I understand the diagram left by Lectrician (many thanks). I don't understand how the detectors are connected together. I gather the resistors get hard wired into the control panel terminals and are connected across the terminals of the last detector in the line?again, see the drawing

I think you are trying to run before you can walk, and are getting confused by everything you see, but do not understand.
I shall explain

Each detector should go on its own zone/cct (call it what you will) this is so that in the event of a problem / false alarm the offending detector can be indentified as the one that caused the problem, and the required action taken

This is actually a requirement of british standard 4737 (which applies to intruder alarms)

you are using a 6 core cable, but the drawing as shown you only require 4 cores, so you can ignore the two "extra" cores (green and white) these can be used at a later date, but are not required just now.

you can also leave the tamper link in the panel as you are going to be using resistors

It isn't easy if it is your first go for diyer.

What make/model alarm is it?? I assumed Texecom Premier :?:

You can use 6 core to the first detector, and link to the second detector with 4 core, this allows linking, but with keeping the two detectors on seperate zones. You would need to use EOL wiring for this.

If you dont link, and use 6 core, wire the convential method.

If you do link, you will need to join 2 cables in the first pir, and carry them onto the last pir (best to solder them, and insulate with small sleeve).

If you understand the pic, you should be able to imagine using the spare 2 cores of the 6 core to carry on to the fial pir.

At the panel, when using EOL, wire the 2 cables to the zone, with one of the cables on the LEFT alarm terminal, and the other to the RIGHT tamper terminal, this leaves 2 terminals EMPTY with NO links.

alig31 said " I am wiring each detector with a 6 core cable", that is why i said "(ignore the green and white)"

although as you said is true, it only serves to confuse the issue

alig31 said:
I am wiring the detectors, one to each zone. There are shunt resistors supplied, although the 2 resistors are different; a 10K and a 22K. Could someone draw another diagram showing how 2 detectors are connected together and to the control panel showing the resistors or explain more fully. ( I can add to this) :confused:
I am wiring each detector with a 6 core cable. I am happy with the two supply cables, it is the wiring of the other 4 (blue/yellow tamper and white green alarm) and how they interlink. On the control panel there are 2 terminals for each zone and there is a further 2 terminals for the tamper. There is a tamper link supplied across the tamper terminals and the instruction book says with EOL operation the tamper link would usually be left in place. I understand the diagram left by Lectrician (many thanks). I don't understand how the detectors are connected together. I gather the resistors get hard wired into the control panel terminals and are connected across the terminals of the last detector in the line?

Breezer, this is why I commented on looping detectors.

alig - are you wanting to loop detectors to share a zone? Are you wanting to loop detectors on different zones? Why not just wire it the conventional way? You can wire both methods on all panels. (although some expansion cards and keypads will only allow EOL)

im dont think he knows what he wants, just looked but not read instructions

Not much more we can add......the intructions with the panels are actually very detailed.....and have good drawings.

If you struggle to wire a system, programming will be fun :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back