Ensuite Nightmares

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ensuite is a nightmare. Property is about 14 years old and has always shown signs of water leakage from ensuite.

A few times I had tradesmade (from MyTrader) come and do repairs but i'd notice signs of leakage.

I March this year the floor gave in, and a plumber came in and repaired part of the floor with new board and also put some wood underneath the shower tray. It felt solid standing on the tray once the works were done.

Fastforward to last week, the ceiling downstairs underneath the ensuite gave in. I brought in Trace and track company, they thought water was leaking from the waste pipe and they fixed that. I try to take shower and notice water leaks from the back of the tray where it meets the wall. Call them back in and after about 90mins they say its fixed, and not to use shower for 24hrs.

we give it 30hrs and we try, water still leaks.... I am at my wits end to know how to fix this. Any ideas of how best to tackle this problem. I am calling these guys again Monday 29th but not sure this will be any help dealing with them.

Should i pay for the works? Do i get another company, do i rip this ensuite out and start all over again. (the last plumber so or rippled it out to get to the rotten boards :cry:)

Any ideas welcome

Sponsored Links
Porous grout? Wall not tanked?
Just had a chat with the trace guy.

He thinks its the grout (so you maybe on point!) and maybe some broken tiles. Also suspects the supply pipe could be leaking. he'll be back on Thursday to check these items.

will update after his visit.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest methodically using your shower head over each area in turn whilst someone is downstairs (presumably below is still exposed)- could be grout, could be tray movement when someone is stood in it. Hairline cracks in grout that are almost invisible can cause a substantial leak.

A lot of the time the only way to pinpoint the leak as said is to spend time directing the water flow onto small areas where you suspect it might be leaking from whilst monitoring underneath. Plumbers/leak trace companies won't really do this, as you have discovered.

It is also worth sometimes weighing down a shower tray when siliconing much in the same way you do a bath (but obviously you can't fill it with water, so 25kg bags of sand or similar).

Supply pipework seems unlikely if the leak only manifests itself when the shower is in use.

thanks for detailed explanation. Yes now that you say it, supply pipe is unlikely the culprit. I will flag this to the trace guy tomorrow so we direct away from this as the likely cause
I would suggest methodically using your shower head over each area in turn whilst someone is downstairs (presumably below is still exposed)- could be grout, could be tray movement when someone is stood in it. Hairline cracks in grout that are almost invisible can cause a substantial leak.

A lot of the time the only way to pinpoint the leak as said is to spend time directing the water flow onto small areas where you suspect it might be leaking from whilst monitoring underneath. Plumbers/leak trace companies won't really do this, as you have discovered.

It is also worth sometimes weighing down a shower tray when siliconing much in the same way you do a bath (but obviously you can't fill it with water, so 25kg bags of sand or similar).

Supply pipework seems unlikely if the leak only manifests itself when the shower is in use.
thanks for detailed explanation. Yes now that you say it, supply pipe is unlikely the culprit. I will flag this to the trace guy tomorrow so we direct away from this as the likely cause.

as previously suggested the grout is my chief suspect now. I think the tray is sitting on a solid base to shift under weight.

Thanks again

thanks for detailed explanation. Yes now that you say it, supply pipe is unlikely the culprit. I will flag this to the trace guy tomorrow so we direct away from this as the likely cause

thanks for detailed explanation. Yes now that you say it, supply pipe is unlikely the culprit. I will flag this to the trace guy tomorrow so we direct away from this as the likely cause.

as previously suggested the grout is my chief suspect now. I think the tray is sitting on a solid base to shift under weight.

Thanks again
I would be looking at grout and slight tray movement when someone is stood in it. Hence why just re-siliconing it without weighing down the shower tray might not have worked. I would recommend doing as suggested- stand in shower, shower head directed at small areas and ideally if you have someone to help by looking from below (or under the tray if you can access this from the bathroom). The trace/access person will likely just keep guessing at causes.

97 x out of a 100, it's that the shower screen/cubicle was fitted before the tray was siliconed.

Bite the bullet and rip it out and start again. And be sure to do your home work and find a decent bathroom fitter to do the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back