ensuite size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put an ensuite shower and toilet into my bedroom. I have a nice corner measuring 1.36m x 1.5m. I have looked at shower cubicles 760mm x 760mm and WCs that are 600mm deep and a small washhand basin. I am told my space is not large enough because you have to have 750mm square clear infront of the wc and classed as work space. Can someone tell me if this is correct or can this space possibly be smaller. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi,just to let you know that there are corner toilets and corner sinks for small areas available.

It does sound small but as the above post says a corner sink takes up next to no room.

You probably know you need to hang the door so it swings outwards into the bedroom so that you don't have to worry about clearance for it in the on-suite.

With the measurements you have posted, I think ideally you could put a 1200 x 750 shower cubicle in one half of the room and the WC and basin in the other. But it depends where the door is, and also where the waste pipes have to be, etc.

If you could post a rough sketch showing which walls are external an where any windows / doors are then it might help us to give more advice.

i've never tried fitting a ensuite in a rabbit hutch.
pate08.gif

Sponsored Links
i've never tried fitting a ensuite in a rabbit hutch.

I'm not surprised, there's no money in it. You put a nice WC in the corner of the hutch and the damn things still prefer to gather up all the straw into a corner and pee on it instead. :LOL:

Back on topic though, what are you saying? Are you advising the OP to abandon their plans outright? Do you not think it is possible?

anythings possible, whether its practical is another issue.
hard to say without seeing layout.

can't understand some of the places i've been asked to install wc's/basins
understairs etc.
another 6 steps they'll be in the bathroom anyway.
must be the in thing now have more wc's than people living their.

Well all we've had in our house to wash in for the last year is an on-suite. Here's a photo:

View media item 9441
Just needs a pipe or two :LOL: .

Actually our on-suite is 1200 x 3000 and that photo is our bathroom cupboard. It's nearly finished, I tiled the floor today. (the bathroom not the cupboard)

As far as on-suites go though, If it's connected to the bedroom then why do you need any more space than is enough for a shower, bog and basin?

mikeyd
why do you need any more space than is enough for a shower, bog and basin
?

That is exactly what I thought but a builder has said that regulations state that you need 750mm sq infront of the WC. If I take that area out of my space I don't have a lot of space left. Have also considered the corner wc and basin but the ones I have looked at are 700 - 750 deep for the WC so better to use a compact straight one.

Thanks for the input though. At least you make sense.

In England, the 750mm rule only applies to new build houses and then only to the principle WC on the entrance floor - it would not apply to an addition in an existing house and would not apply to an ensuite anyway.

Not sure of the rules in Scotland? Worth checking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back