EPDM edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing an EPDM roof (Resitrix) and it looks like there are two common types of edging. There is the "Sure Edge" and the metal edge trim.

My roof isn't square, so a couple of corners aren't 90 degree angles. This means that the plastic edging would need to be cut and glued, but I think I would struggle to make it look good.

If I were to use the metal edging, then I would have concerns about rust, but I can't even find info about what it's actually made of other than "metal". I would imagine the cut edges would eventually rust, even if it took a few years. It's also assuming that the corners would be done by cutting the back and bending, would could also lead to rust.

Has anybody used either of these or has any advice?

Sponsored Links
I'm doing an EPDM roof (Resitrix) and it looks like there are two common types of edging. There is the "Sure Edge" and the metal edge trim.

My roof isn't square, so a couple of corners aren't 90 degree angles. This means that the plastic edging would need to be cut and glued, but I think I would struggle to make it look good.

If I were to use the metal edging, then I would have concerns about rust, but I can't even find info about what it's actually made of other than "metal". I would imagine the cut edges would eventually rust, even if it took a few years. It's also assuming that the corners would be done by cutting the back and bending, would could also lead to rust.

Has anybody used either of these or has any advice?
Some edging for EPDM is made from Aluminium.
You can get it ready made or get it made to measure from a sheet metal workshop.

Have you considered wood?
I have considered it, but I'm a little unsure whether there would be any issues with water penetration. I believe the metal ones push down on the rubber and have an EPDM washer. It's probably a good idea, but it's not something I've seen.

Sponsored Links
I have considered it, but I'm a little unsure whether there would be any issues with water penetration. I believe the metal ones push down on the rubber and have an EPDM washer. It's probably a good idea, but it's not something I've seen.
I used to work for a roofing company.
We fitted EPDM and Butyl rubber roofs.
We used aluminum and PVC edge trim.
The problem with using wood as edge trim is that it tends to rot over time.

Last edited:
I have actually thought about using facia board on mine with a bead of sealer underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back